cave2d.com/game5 is done

aaryte

I got to a good stopping point on cave2d.com "game5" so I think I'm done with it! *POST*.

Game5 is the sequel to game2 that nobody asked for. It has local multiplayer support, keyboard/mouse and touch support, a few different weapons, tractor beams, shields, explosive mines which are fun to chain together, and sounds generated live with web audio. It was fun to make (which is good because I don't plan to make money with it) and I'd love to hear any feedback on it - thanks!

Screen Shot 2018-11-10 at 11.39.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-10 at 10.56.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-10 at 10.54.24 PM.png

Do you mean the actual keyboard and mouse button layout, or the purpose of the buttons (since they're both overloaded), or the overall rules of the game, or just all of it?

In the first level, I tried to let the player to learn the basics of moving, and grabbing and using things, and cutting through walls with the laser.

Them the second level has no weapons at first, and two enemies that are easily avoided or experimented with, so the player might learn about hiding and shielding, and later, maybe dropping items.

But yeah, I didn't explain the keyboard layout in-game at all, or the purpose of the buttons on the touch screen. I should at least put those basics in the game, in the pause menu maybe, since the game starts in the pause state.

I mean all of it))

First level is ok. I tried to investigate abilities. 

But I created second character and can't understand what to do with it. Then I kill second character by button. It was strange.

I absolutely don't understand that I should use shield on the second level. I simply run past enemies) So it's better to write at the begging of level: Press button " " to activate shield.

And I immediately understand what button I should press I how to finish this level.

Honestly the player never needs shields. I only added them because I thought it was boring to have the "drop item" button do nothing when you do not have an item. Shields would be more useful if I didn't also give infinite lives.

Adding and removing players is definitely confusing, and in future games I plan to have an "add/drop players" screen in the pause menu, and I'll use that to explain keyboard mappings, and maybe allow editing there too. Accidental player-adds (and self-removes!) are a problem on touchscreens too.

4 minutes ago, aaryte said:

Honestly the player never needs shields. I only added them because I thought it was boring to have the "drop item" button do nothing when you do not have an item.

I think it's not very good in terms of game design.

For example it can be levels which we can't finish without shield.

I like the style of the game and it runs really smooth, but I can't understand what to do? Perhaps I'm just too tired, but I reached some red creatures and clicked  on one and it got stuck on me. But not sure what to do next? Can I shoot on a button?

1 hour ago, jalex said:

I like the style of the game and it runs really smooth, but I can't understand what to do? Perhaps I'm just too tired, but I reached some red creatures and clicked  on one and it got stuck on me. But not sure what to do next? Can I shoot on a button?

Hold down the same button, to warm up and fire the laser you picked up.

I think I made a mistake making the laser have a warm-up, and also be the first weapon you find. Long-press is pretty undiscoverable. :(

I thought I could get away with it by having the warm up glow and make that increasing-frequency sounds, but if you just tap the button quickly you probably won't notice that stuff either.

Good feedback!

29 minutes ago, aaryte said:

Hold down the same button, to warm up and fire the laser you picked up.

I think I made a mistake making the laser have a warm-up, and also be the first weapon you find. Long-press is pretty undiscoverable. :(

I thought I could get away with it by having the warm up glow and make that increasing-frequency sounds, but if you just tap the button quickly you probably won't notice that stuff either.

Good feedback!

Well i haven't got any laser yet. I am in a room with 3 red creatures that I can bounce around, I thought first I should move the guys to the purple circle. I think some guidelines would be needed in the beginning (unless it is meant to be a puzzle game), or it might just be me who don´t get it :) 

8 hours ago, hromoyDron said:

I think it's not very good in terms of game design.

For example it can be levels which we can't finish without shield.

Yeah, I agree. I was thinking about making stationary turrets, which would be used in shield-puzzle levels, but like a lot of ideas, I never got around to implementing it. But also, I don't love the shields. Maybe a short teleport, sort of like a dodge-roll, would be more fun?

My plan is to leave game5 alone, and to use this good feedback to make a better game6 or whatever the next one is called. I kind of like leaving the bad stuff out there, to show improvement over time. I'm pretty motivated to make a better game in this same genre, because of the constructive criticism I'm getting here!

Aha the videos helps to understand. Some kind of help to understand what they are I think would be needed. Or a popup that tells you what to do. Which one is the tractorbutton?

Like with my own game I have understood from feedback how important it is in the beginning of the game to make it clear for the player what to do in the game.

8 hours ago, aaryte said:

Maybe a short teleport, sort of like a dodge-roll, would be more fun?

I think teleport can be separate feature. Teleport base puzzle I think would popular, just remember game "Portal".

More over you can teleport to the rear of the enemy, turn on the shield and shoot all the enemies.