Should I get a VPS or a Cloud Droplet

socceronly

Just learning, made my first Javascript Quizz today.... woo hoo.

I wanted to get something I can install, test and run live.   It seems like you can get a VPS or Cloud Droplets for pretty cheap.

Just wondering what the difference is here.   On the VPS it has Plesk, so you could make a bunch of different sites/playgrounds.  Is the Cloud Droplet only for one site?

Going to be learning Node/Express. 

I was looking at the VPS from 1and1 and the Cloud Droplet from DigitalOcean. 

Any ideas?

Thanks

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...

1and1 are offering you a managed solution of sorts, DigitalOcean is usually just the hosting, it's up to you how to configure and manage it. You can run multiple different sites from one 'droplet/instance' without issue, depending on the site.

If you're wanting to publish a client-only JS game then I'd consider something like now.sh or netlify. They make it super trivial to get such apps in to the wild.

• 1 month later...
On 11/21/2018 at 6:55 AM, socceronly said:

Just learning, made my first Javascript Quizz today.... woo hoo.

I wanted to get something I can install, test and run live.   It seems like you can get a VPS or Cloud Droplets for pretty cheap.

Just wondering what the difference is here.   On the VPS it has Plesk, so you could make a bunch of different sites/playgrounds.  Is the Cloud Droplet only for one site?

Going to be learning Node/Express. 

I was looking at the VPS from 1and1 and the Cloud Droplet from DigitalOcean. 

Any ideas?

Thanks

Jamie

Both 1and1 and DigitalOcean are tried and tested by me during our game project in the previous company. We got introduced to Apps4Rent as our managed service provider and the prices and overall support was much more better.

Regards,

Adrian