Crane Game

p3p3k

Hello guys, i want to make Crane Game where i can move object with hook. Can anyone explain me ho to grab object with hook and move with it?  I  have  collisions  but i don´t know how move two object together  and repeat it with other objects 

How do I set the correct position and rotation when I unparent the lifted box from the crane hook? (mesh2.parent = null)

If someone knows for rotationQuaternion as well, that would be even more great. :-)

Would be useful to know for my Model Train Simulator game cranes:

babylonjsmodeltrainsimulatorcrane.jpg.f45c1cd4df4882627bed90f11715f29c.jpg

^ a low-poly crane to lift goods from wagons

6 hours ago, QuintusHegie said:

How do I set the correct position and rotation when I unparent the lifted box from the crane hook? (mesh2.parent = null)

This is what you are after:

mesh2.setParent(null);

That will unparent the mesh, while maintaining rotation and position in world co-ordinates (instead of local to the parent).  If it doesn't work just post a PG.  I've got lots of similar versions of it in my game :)  If you have physics on your crane cargo this is where you would call .wakeUp(), too (ie: get crane cargo to fall). Cheers.

Yeah!  Physics ropes.  :)  https://playground.babylonjs.com/#1KPF49#53

Sort of.

We would get SO many angry calls... from shipping clients who received damaged crates/cargo.  :)

What fun is allowSleep() on a physics impostor?  Keep that puppy moving, ready to tip-over a crane or smash a rail yard flatbed truck... FUN!

But, Garden Trains looks a bit "Fisher Price"... perhaps not wanting too much death and destruction.

18 hours ago, p3p3k said:

Wow, looking very good. Do you have your game online or do you have on github? I'd like to draw some code from your solution if i can of course ?

What type of crane(s) do you want to make in your game? What do they have to do? What is the aim of your game? etc. (Need a bit more info then just 'a crane game'.)

Then I can look up some of my code and see what's useful. In my game there are different types of cranes that operate differently.

11 hours ago, brianzinn said:

This is what you are after:

mesh2.setParent(null);

That will unparent the mesh, while maintaining rotation and position in world co-ordinates (instead of local to the parent).  If it doesn't work just post a PG.  I've got lots of similar versions of it in my game :)  If you have physics on your crane cargo this is where you would call .wakeUp(), too (ie: get crane cargo to fall). Cheers.

Thanks. I'll use Mesh.setParent(obj). Didn't know about that. Until now I used mesh.parent = null... good to know there a proper function for it ?

7 hours ago, Wingnut said:

Yeah!  Physics ropes.  :)  https://playground.babylonjs.com/#1KPF49#53

Sort of.

We would get SO many angry calls... from shipping clients who received damaged crates/cargo.  :)

What fun is allowSleep() on a physics impostor?  Keep that puppy moving, ready to tip-over a crane or smash a rail yard flatbed truck... FUN!

But, Garden Trains looks a bit "Fisher Price"... perhaps not wanting too much death and destruction.

Hehe. The more angry calls the better ?

No blood in my game indeed but that doesn't mean there will be no action. In contrary! The nice thing about virtual toys is that broken ones will be repaired again in a snap.

I've recently learned the computer AI opponent to use the weaponry (cannons etc.) that you helped me with earlier, Wingnut.

Q

23 hours ago, QuintusHegie said:

What type of crane(s) do you want to make in your game? What do they have to do? What is the aim of your game? etc. (Need a bit more info then just 'a crane game'.)

Then I can look up some of my code and see what's useful. In my game there are different types of cranes that operate differently.

Thanks. I'll use Mesh.setParent(obj). Didn't know about that. Until now I used mesh.parent = null... good to know there a proper function for it ?

Hehe. The more angry calls the better ?

No blood in my game indeed but that doesn't mean there will be no action. In contrary! The nice thing about virtual toys is that broken ones will be repaired again in a snap.

I've recently learned the computer AI opponent to use the weaponry (cannons etc.) that you helped me with earlier, Wingnut.

Q

I want simply crane game, where i will have 5 levels and there i´ll transfer boxes to colored place.