Hololens Development

chicagobob123

Anyone tinker with the hololens and Babylon? 

On to my DUMB curiosity and plain lack of knowledge.

I mentioned before that using a VR headset like Samsung with Babylon stereo camera did not look 3D. They looked flat.

Things far away in the distance did not look far away BUT with hololens its quite different. You see depth even though the lenses are flat. 

Watching a few hololens demos and noticed HOW 3D things were vs using a VR headset I really don't get it.  Curiosity off. 

I need to display some 3D data on the hololens  so my initial plan here is to stream some 3D WebGL content to the hololens. Thats nice and all

but if you actually move the stream wont interact. ☹️

In the future would be nice to have a webgl streaming view to the hololens.  Does that make sense?

The webgl is generated on a PC wifi'd to the lenses while the motion and gestures are transmitted back to the PC as clicks and dolly moves. 

Now that would make for some interesting babylon js content creation. Hollodeck anyone?

Babylon.js v4.0 is supporting webXR. In the future any headset supporting this tech will be supported by bjs then

For Hololens, I don't know their plan regarding webXR so far

On 12/7/2018 at 2:56 PM, chicagobob123 said:

Anyone tinker with the hololens and Babylon? 

On to my DUMB curiosity and plain lack of knowledge.

I mentioned before that using a VR headset like Samsung with Babylon stereo camera did not look 3D. They looked flat.

Things far away in the distance did not look far away BUT with hololens its quite different. You see depth even though the lenses are flat. 

Watching a few hololens demos and noticed HOW 3D things were vs using a VR headset I really don't get it.  Curiosity off. 

I need to display some 3D data on the hololens  so my initial plan here is to stream some 3D WebGL content to the hololens. Thats nice and all

but if you actually move the stream wont interact. ☹️

In the future would be nice to have a webgl streaming view to the hololens.  Does that make sense?

The webgl is generated on a PC wifi'd to the lenses while the motion and gestures are transmitted back to the PC as clicks and dolly moves. 

Now that would make for some interesting babylon js content creation. Hollodeck anyone?

I think it is possible. I am doing hololens development using buildwagon in JavaScript. I have my data on a server, i do an httprequest to query the data, and draw the result as 3Dshapes on the hololens. Another possibility was using socket.io connection for a bidirectional communication to a host... I am not sure if you can add a reference to Bablyon, I'll give it a try and let you know.