Y8 Destroys Your Games (and websites)

Phaser911

Hello, Y8 disabled all their flash and WebGL games you published on your website. That's "thank you" for publishing their games.

I will never again publish their game or upload a game to their site.

WebGL games will show only a link to their website, so they just want to steal your traffic. And if you try to play their flash games, you will only see a semi transparent black screen. (See examples below, and note, there are hundreds of games available on different websites).

That's not all, they have disabled our games that use their APIs. So think twice if you want to submit your games there.

First, they asked developers to use their services (ads, analytics, login...). So, I did it and distributed my games containing their api.

Now, some of my flash games are hosted on hundreds of sites, and guess what, they don't work at all thanks to Y8. Here are examples of two disabled games, (go to main menu, the game will show ID preloader for a short time, and then it's disabled):

Their WebGL games disabled on different site (just few examples):

Their flash games disabled:

Hello,

My name is Zoki and I represent Y8.com and network. 

First of all I would like to apologize to all developers and webmasters and forums out there which were not notified about our actions. Since the falling of FGL and TA, it is not easy to be upto date with the public. To answer your questions and worries, we notified as many websites as we could for our actions and all of them have two months or so, transition time which they could use to replace or remove or resolve their end. The decision was taken around September 2018 and since then we were in discussion and noticing all developers we could.

I must say that your statement of your Mario flash games not workign on other sites, is not completely true as other member verifeid, the game Mario in Jungle also works for me at 4j website. There is a screenshot of it, tho, i can share it if needed...Furthermore I personally have not licensed any copyrighted game, little less to be Mario style, so maybe there is a confusion about the problem you are describing? If you prefer I can gladly update or remove your game(s) on our network.

Now back on the more important information, which you are all probably interested in hearing it. Why we decide to take such drastic action?

Well that is not a simple and short story to tell, but let me give it a try. Since 3 years ago or so, we heavily pushed into buying and licensing games from all types, all devs, all genres, everyone. This was almost the same time when FGL market declared "flash is dead" and other publishers were focusing on other markets (steam, mobile, their own standalone portal versions, etc..) During that period of three years of buying games, we have *licensed and supported* developers of more than 2000 games. None of any other competitor website has invested that much, as we had invested in buying games. During those years of investing into developers, our competitors had tons of fun hacking our games, blocking the outlinks of our games, and even taking variants of future names of our hit games. DMCA reports, legal notices and even Google, were not securing our investment and our games, neither the competitors were playing fair games as we had. While we rarely released games with iconic more games button, or animated thumbnails of our other games, www.Y8.com upload form was spammed with games with animated thumbnails, flashy outlink buttons and even rewards outlinks.

Meaning, as a thanks that we were licensing exclusive games and releasing them with fair branding and minimal outlinks, the respond we got from competitors were cloned games with 5+ outlinks even on one scene! That is crazy thanks, isn't it?

Additional topic to mention. Since we started investing into games *before* they were released, other websites were playing safe by offering ads revenue share programs. We tried that 2 years ago with our own solution, which unfortunately it didn't worked out due the restriction which Google had with flash games and ads inside flash objects. You might have heard that Chrome banned flash, Mozilla follows it as well, and soon flash will be permannelty avoided to be used. What you don't know, is that the WebGL games licensing period was extremely hard as in the first year there was *no* support from Unity, browsers were eating the ram in the games, and sometimes even the sound was not able to play as it should be. It was a difficult time for WebGL games, but I can personally say that with our focus of directly investing into an experimental technology for web games during the start of WebGL Games, Y8.com become a leader in quality and inovation when it comes to this market for web games.

While others websites were not even able to purchase the $1500 license of unity software, were were sharing few license with close developers to work on their games.

While others needed minutes to load a 90mb+ webgl game to their players, Y8.com was already resolving the http and https mess caused by iframing webgls experimental games.

And normally, as a thanks of our competitors we started getting our games stolen and rehosted on their servers, normally with rebranded links or blocked outlinks. Bonus was also that when our competitors started to "create/clone" webgl games, their webgl games were coming with a fancy bottom banner supporing their awesome website throughout the whole game! Well, bravo!

Now we will also play safe and soon will publish our Google Ads revenue share program, really soon.

So, yes, it just a question of time when www.Y8.com will stop its game distribution, due the fact that market is shrinking and the people inside are playing dirty.

Thank you all for reading, and if there is anything i can help/answer you, let me know here or in private.

40 minutes ago, Phaser911 said:

One Mario game worked because I have updated the game, and 4j uses a version hosted on my website.

I'm glad to hear that your game is working good for you. Let me know if I can help you anyhow else.

6 minutes ago, ozdy said:

@zoki_y8 Why have you blocked CrazyGames.com for example? They don't block outgoing links.

Actually, Ozdy, we had our API protection for separating the good websites from bad websites, for close to 2 years so far. Sadly, it was not efficient enough and always new sites were raising with their new "we just tested out, we are sorry, it was a bug" excuses. So since everyone was making money based on our own back, we decided to simple keep on exclusivity on our site as other big sites were doing through the years.

16 minutes ago, zoki_y8 said:

Actually, Ozdy, we had our API protection for separating the good websites from bad websites, for close to 2 years so far. Sadly, it was not efficient enough and always new sites were raising with their new "we just tested out, we are sorry, it was a bug" excuses. So since everyone was making money based on our own back, we decided to simple keep on exclusivity on our site as other big sites were doing through the years.

So, in the case of CrazyGames.com, not only have you blocked a game they were willingly hosting without blocked links, but you're also making false accusations of them blocking your links, as seen in the screenshot.

Hello I wont write much but as 95 percent users of this forum is developers and you have rights to make sure on which website your games appear ?

correct me if i'm wrong.

and if Y8 as publisher decided to keep the games on which they have spent $$$$$$$ exclusive to their websites. I really dont think it should affect anyone.

But yes I do agree in those mass disable via SDK it might effect 1-2 developer who used our sdk in the past and we are working to exclude those games.

and I have already asked Original poster app ids of the games to exclude them via email

20 hours ago, Phaser911 said:

Hello, Y8 disabled all their flash and WebGL games you published on your website. That's "thank you" for publishing their games.

we have sent DMCA go and ask Crazygames.com newgrounds.com kongregate.com SPIL and others and gave enough time to remove our games.

20 hours ago, Phaser911 said:

That's not all, they have disabled our games that use their APIs. So think twice if you want to submit your games there.

First, they asked developers to use their services (ads, analytics, login...). So, I did it and distributed my games containing their api.

I'm sorry to say but it dint worked out if any company offer any services it doesnt mean it will be live forever Mochimedia many of old developer must knows get closed so did id.net its not the part of y8 anymore. and as you used our ads we did compensate you with the loss or revenue you might earn from your games but noone talking about it here and just blaming us.

thats not fair I believe.

Edit: Just checked we paid last 3 months revenue as bonus when we decided to close idnet ads so developers can have enough time to move out of id.net ads

Just now, ozdy said:

So, in the case of CrazyGames.com, not only have you blocked a game they were willingly hosting without blocked links, but you're also making false accusations of them blocking your links, as seen in the screenshot.

CrazyGames were contacted 3 months ago and they replied that our games will be taken of their website. You are right, our Protection System was not made to help us become exclusive on our games. It was made for protecting against hacksers and websites outlinks. The API was implemented in the game, not remotely on our servers, so we could not simply update all of our games. It is upto whether they want to resolve the problem fully or not. If you are in close contact with them, you can freely give them a notice about this and any other games from our side.

It is completely fine if you close your services, that's not the problem,  but the problem is that you disabled our games for no reason. Plus, you disabled so many games hosted by different sites. About 10 days ago, I sent two mails to different email addresses belong to Y8 and I did not get any reply until yesterday.

And the reply was "go ahead and say whatever you want I dont care anymore. "

ankit.jpg

we dont knowingly disable your games and it was a mistake and I already told you by email we are working to fix it.

so just  keep the little patience its been just 2 days those things come in my knowledge and our developer is already on it.

and we would be able to whitelist your games by next week hopefully and as I asked you on the email do send me your all games id.

8 hours ago, mentuat said:

Complaining about a bunch of IP infringing 'Mario' games being removed from a distribution network?  Ballsy move bringing attention to that! 

Go away moron, it's not just about two Mario games, there are many other games containing ID net apis, I show these two games as examples. And actually they are very popular online games. Another problem is that webmasters should remove or update so many pages just to hide Y8 games.

On 1/19/2019 at 11:24 AM, mattstyles said:

It'll remain open for now, but please keep the discussion on track about the issues, not insulting anyone.

Thank you. This topic should be open as long as it takes so that everyone can have their thoughts/questions cleared out from our side, and most importantly, if anyone has any game problems like Phaser911 which we can help with, we are here to help in HTML5 devs forum.