How many people here use Construct 2?

val9

I was wondering how many of you guys or gals here are using construct 2. If not why not. If you guys can share your opinion on the game maker that would be great. I my self already have it. But I wanted a perspective from people that actually write out your code for your games and why you would or wouldn't want to use Construct 2. 

I don't use it, but only because none of the clients we work for allow it - they all want the source code at the end of the project, so handing over C2 files isn't an option. It's a great package though, always impressed at the new features those guys are adding.

I don't use it, but only because none of the clients we work for allow it - they all want the source code at the end of the project, so handing over C2 files isn't an option. It's a great package though, always impressed at the new features those guys are adding.

OMG that's terrible news for me :( since I'm just starting to learn how to program using JavaScript. I thought I can use C2 to make games and perhaps make money here and there while I continue learn how to program. I thought using construct would allow me to make games faster ( also of quality of course ) make some money (ie keep bills at bay) while learning how to write JavaScript. Hmmmm any advice on how I should go about it now lol. I thought construct also spits out the files in HTML or in capx format?? This will definitely slow me down then. Any solutions are extremely welcome if not ..... I'm going to go cry myself to sleep now....:$...lol

Since they dropped the Pro License by 40% I bought it.

I'm actually more into iOS Developement, but looking forward to make some casual HTML5 Games - looks like a big market for me.

Construct2 looks very good, even though I'm always a bit sceptic if there's a statement like "you don't need to program".. I feel like losing the control over _my_ game.

Gonna try it out this Weekend - let's see how easy it is to use.

@rich - how come the exported JS/HTML doesn't count? Is it because they want to modify it? It's still possible to make Javascript customisations using the Plugin SDK in Construct 2, but the changes would have to be done in the C2 editor before export. I understand if that's something clients aren't used to, but it's definitely possible if they want to add tracking, analytics etc.

On second thought do u mean clients that ur making a game for like The BBC or to portals??

To clarify I meant our larger clients yes. They want unobfuscated source code that they can hand to a JavaScript developer to edit. Not someone who would then need training in C2 before they could modify the game (edit: just to add this issue isn't C2 specific, we couldn't use GameMaker either for the same reasons)

But for your own games and for games sold to portals you will be absolutely fine.

Are the game portals ok with using the C2 sdk and adding the code themselves or do we have to??Thank you for answering my questions by the way.I just want to know what i can expect to be doing if i make a game with C2. I'm pretty excited to get going with it now that I know portals do accept C2 games. I have seen some really awesome stuff with that tool and it will only get better and better.

Every portal I've ever worked with expected ME to add their code in. Very rarely do they do it for you.

All I will say is this: C2 has a LOT of really cool features (particles, shaders, etc), but if your game doesn't run well on mobile (iOS AND Android) no-one will buy it.

So always keep that in mind please.

• 2 weeks later...

I love using C2 also. It's really fast to do prototypes and also suitable for projects where clients don't really care with source code. My studio has been doing outsource jobs and the client requires just the end product: one exported with nodewebkit, and the other through cocoonjs.

I use it and love it.  It really makes projects more manageable, makes a lot of tedious things very simple and quick, and I don't feel I really lose control over my game.  There might be some rather small, nitpicky things that I might prefer, but my current game falls perfectly in the bounds of C2 without really any sacrifices.  My project is quite large, too, and it doesn't really get in the way in the slightest.  If I had to code my current game from scratch, it would never happen.

i think they have a great and helpful community, so you can get help when you need to make changes to the source files. these days i need to add some cross promotion ad and was easy. although i understand what rich is talking about and is clear to me that some publishers will reject games made in C2, but there is a lot of others that will just ask for the final product like soybean has said. If you understand how to make a C2 game that plays well on mobile browsers, like you need to understand that using any framework as well you will be good to target the mobile market. Scirra is always advising on how to make games that run well on mobile, through tutorials and blog posts.

This is just to make some justice to the software, i'm learning js too and using phaser to make a game. i think that is essential to everyone making games to learn how to code directly together with using C2 or any other tool.

I have tried possibly several dozen pre-fab engines over the years, and in my opinion Construct 2 is overall the fastest and most reliable game-making tool I have used thus far.  Ashley and co. are really making something special there.  You can make a game almost as fast as GameMaker or Multimedia Fusion, but with basically none of the quirks of those aforementioned engines.

C2 user here too. I know the soft thanks to one of my teachers when I still was a game design student. It's just perfect and so easy to use. The best advantage is its community and support from Scirra (they add new features almost every other day :P )

• 2 weeks later...