Full screen confusion

Biggerplay

In some browsers, you simply can't do it - Safari on the iPad for example, it's just not possible. The project template works fine for phones (or any device that allows you to remove the ui, but lots of tablets don't). On some Android tablets you've got access to the fullscreen API, so you can use that (but not on iOS!)

In some browsers, you simply can't do it - Safari on the iPad for example, it's just not possible. The project template works fine for phones (or any device that allows you to remove the ui, but lots of tablets don't). On some Android tablets you've got access to the fullscreen API, so you can use that (but not on iOS!)

Thanks, yeah iOS is basically what I'm mostly interested in, good to know though.

I read somewhere recently that suggested there would be a way to invoke proper full screen using a browser in iOS but not until iOS 7.1 is released...

But here's the good news... I too read that it was not possible but look right here folks!!!! 

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19710014/ios-7-go-into-full-screen-mode-add-to-home-screen-button

It is NOT ideal but it provides a way to make it go full screen... Basically add the following meta tag to the HEAD html as follows:

<meta name="apple-mobile-web-app-capable" content="yes">

Then open the web page on the iOS mobile device using Safari browser. Then add this page to your "home screen" (you do that by clicking on the box with the arrow pointing out which is at the top of the safari browser window... then look for the icon that says "Add to Home Screen").  Next close the safari window.  Then look at your iOS App icons and you will see your new addition... An icon that is basically a shortcut to the web page we just visited. Now click on that icon. Enjoy the fullscreen experience!

I just tried it now after looking all over the place and finally found this suggestion which works (for now)... I think I read somewhere that there are changes coming that might invalidate this solution in some future Apple update. Hopefully that won't occur until they provide another way.  I think in the future there will be another meta tag (maybe available in iOS7.1) that will work going forward (but not yet) which is, I think:

<meta name="mobile-web-app-capable" content="yes">

So just add both meta tags and hopefully you'll be covered now and in the future? Hopefully.