Unity 5 will include "support for WebGL"

Starboar

More: http://venturebeat.com/2014/03/17/unity-technologies-unveils-next-version-of-its-game-development-engine-to-make-thousands-of-3d-games-more-realistic/

Unity will also support WebGL, a web format that makes it easier to create 3D images on web pages. Developers can get early access to Unity’s WebGL add-on to create interactive experiences for games that don’t require plug-ins when used with WebGL-compliant browsers. Madfinger Game’s Dead Trigger 2 game, pictured at top, runs on WebGL, and Unity will demonstrate it at its booth at the GDC in San Francisco this week.

With chrome removing support for NPAPI it means many plugins won't work, including eventually the Unity browser plugin - so this goes some way to addressing that.  

I imagine you'll have to plan it as a WebGL game from the start, e.g coding in JS instead of C#/Java and having a subset of Unity plugins available, unless they can magically turn it all into asm.js output - i'm not that familiar with Unity though so I may be wrong.

It's my understanding from the GDC chatter that it converts your C# to asm.js.

I think you're right though, I expect there are a shit load of Unity features / shaders that simply won't work. Much like when they tried to do the Flash export a few years back. Even so this is great, because aside from a few very proprietary browser based services like Goo or PlayCanvas, there simply isn't any visual workflow tool for WebGL out there.

So if you know you're making a native app and want to show-off a desktop browser version, this is one hell of a route now.

If you know you're making a game that has to work on mobile browser, it's still useless of course.