Sortbots

Dream Of Sleeping

Hi. This is Sortbots. It's for desktop. There are three game modes. You can cheat and unlock them all by pressing 'u' 4 times on the menu screen. I've lost all perspective on difficulty so no idea how high the score should be to unlock these modes. Feedback would be appreciated. Please let me know if it doesn't load at all.

http://www.dreamofsleeping.co.uk/games/sortbots/

Here is a link to dropbox if the other link doesn't work. But it does take a while to load on dropbox. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/74401653/sortbots/index.html

post-924-0-08562000-1395319043.png

I seem to be having a problem loading the game  :(. Both the dropbox and the site took ages to load. Unfortunately, the version on dropbox seem to have become unresponsive after it finished loading (I tapped space, did nothing). Meanwhile the game on the site took far too long to load (over 3 min I'd say)  :unsure:. I'm using Chrome on Windows 8.1. (Speedtest.net download speed at around 5mb/s). On the bright side however, it did end up loading  ^_^ .

The tutorial was easy to read and was very user friendly. At first, I thought you could grab the stars from the top row :o . So make sure it's more obvious that the gameplay happens on the bottom row. Perhaps fade the top row or make the stars move through an enclosed conveyor belt. Apart than that, I found the game really enjoyable. Really love the aesthetics and the gameplay! Hope this helps!  :D

It takes too long to load on my place too. I don't know if it's the matter with your hosting or not, but as a rule of thumb (if you want to make your games played/distributed on browser), try to make the game size around 3 mb.

For audio file, you can try to change the rate to 16000 Hz (lower than that and your sound might sound really bad) with program like Audacity, and end up with significantly smaller file size.

The games is quite unique, but need a time to get used too and a bit hard even on the first level. Maybe you can try spacing the star more in the beginning?

for me it initally showed a alert (popup) ... saying font is not loaded text wont look... and i am using firefox 28 on ubuntu 14.04. Regarding load time i check in firefox it was I think mp3 files thats taking time and also you can combile and minify js file into a single one for quick loading.

It takes too long to load on my place too. I don't know if it's the matter with your hosting or not, but as a rule of thumb (if you want to make your games played/distributed on browser), try to make the game size around 3 mb.

For audio file, you can try to change the rate to 16000 Hz (lower than that and your sound might sound really bad) with program like Audacity, and end up with significantly smaller file size.

The games is quite unique, but need a time to get used too and a bit hard even on the first level. Maybe you can try spacing the star more in the beginning?

I lost all perspective on difficulty. I thought people would be bored out of their minds waiting for it to speed up. haha

Thanks everyone who has tried. For those for which it was slow you can you try again with this link please?

http://www.dreamofsleeping.co.uk/games/sortbots/

I no longer wait for the font to load before going into the game. Also I think this was an error in my code. I don't think the game size could really be the problem since it takes only seconds for most of us to download an mp3.

Nah.. If someone is struggling a lot they'd probably end up on the game over/menu screen quite frequently where the demo button is.

My previous comment was kinda misleading. What I was meant to say was that adding power ups may perhaps increase the replayability and will keep the players more excited. Suggestions might be expanding the hitbox of the bot or allow the bot to hold more than one star at a time. Etc. but it's ultimately up to you.