Tutorial Talk

Wingnut

Thank you for your kind words about my tutorial however the TOCs seemed to appear when the new github docs appeared. Either someone added them or they were self generated from my use of headings.

So here's a question for those in the know - are TOCs generated from the heading hierarchy in the document?

Yessir!  By minding your header weights correctly, you had a perfect template for the auto-genned TOC to make a nice one.  But even your picture layouts and everything else in that document... SO nice.  Just... friggin' nice.  I wanna be like you.  :)

Yeah, it's JohnK's.  (JohnnyKakes).  :)  I dunno if he likes me calling him that, though.  He hasn't beat me up, yet.  :)

You write good docs too, DK.  I have borrowed lots of documenting knowledge from YOUR docs.

I think my brain is full, though.  It seems... every time I learn something new, I forget something old.  hmm.  :)

Hi tu-talkers

I heard a rumor... that someone... was going to build a basic BJS scene... that visualizes a grunt docs-build.  EVERY little step of it!  (likely bare-bones animation, and likely simple flying boxes, but still, dude!)  :D  Someone?  hmm.  Maybe a team effort?  Maybe a gruntToBJS.js lib?  Wow!  Grunt'n'Render v1.0  heh

For those who have never had the pleasure of seeing our documentation system do a "build"...  it's... friggin' fun!  250 mainline robots come to life and report-in, and then they build armies of sub-robots, and they go data chowing!  The commander robots (the first 250) continue reporting from the battle fronts, giving data-chow statistics as fast as they can!  This is DATA WAR!  Things are watched-for, tactical logistics are adjusted on-the-fly, all at amazing speeds.

Every time I do a docs build on my home computer, the computer monitor almost tips-over from all the robot reporting text weight.  The dog?  GONE!  :)

Ok, so, this real-time visualization of the docs-build that someone is planning... I bet it will take over 4 hours to run a build with viz-ON.  Thoughts?  Keep the anims short and simple, I suppose.  It's going to be a screen/scene full of box-shaped robots, me thinks.  Color-coded boxes... spinning and chowing other boxes.. crunch crunch crunch!  COOOOL!    There's just not enough folks using BJS for data/process viz, it seems.  Let's change that.

Let's see, it will be a spider-shaped device... that can drill recursively down into a grunt file, spewing piles of colored boxes as it digs.  When it finally crawls back out of its hole... it will behold the mighty city-of-data-boxes which it has wrought! 

What majesty!  What beauty!  What... the hell did we do THIS project for?  ;) 

No, wait, it will be some simple build scripts... that auto-puke various colored boxes into a BJS scene, right?  errr... hmm. 

Oh yeah.  It will need a tutorial.  (Wingy slimes back-into on-topicville, safe-and-sound.)

https://github.com/BabylonJS/Documentation/blob/master/Gruntfile.js

That's it there, the root of all that is gruntful.  Just hook-up a 12-volt car battery, and POOM... it turns into a searchable website.  Magic!

Me thinks that P8 is pulling my leg, though.  :)  Me thinks that P8 is a long-time gruntmaster.

You wanted me to produce a .grunt file, dincha? 

Yuh yuh yuh, everyone is being a comedian, lately, eh?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi gang!  Ok, so, yesterday, I took a look at our SSAO doc.   It is a well-written doc, but I don't think there is enough of it.  And, the single demo, is "basic" at best.
  This doc could use some fleshing (at least a link to learn what SSAO stands-for), and it is my current edit target.  Suggestions welcome... but hurry.

Like MANY topics that I edit docs-about, I don't know much ABOUT the topic.  Mostly, I just clean-up some English language issues, fix broken links, and fix typing mistakes.  Sometimes I add clarity if I can determine how to do so.  Anyway, a forum search for SSAO returns some good hits.

One thread mentioned Alteredqualia's cool SSAO demo using 3JS.  Take a browse to it.  It uses keys 1, 2, 3, and 'T'.

Here is our much lighter demo.  It uses keys 1, 2, and 3.  No 'T'.

In the 3JS demo, the 'T' key (tilt-shift) does strange but cool things.  It causes a near/far edge blur.  Things near to the camera.... blur, and so do far-away things.  [DepthOfField]

I read a bit about tilt-shift... in the unity docs.  :)

Can our SSAO do that? 

Can we add it?  Should we?

Will we need a more "depthful" demo than the current demo... to display that effect?

Thoughts, anyone? 

Does anyone want to do mad scientist experiments with our SSAO system (and teach us things to add to its docs)?

Doc'n'demo is fine, leave it alone, move-on, Wingy?  (perhaps a wise idea) heh

bye now.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Wingnut :)

Can SSAO do tilt-shift ? If this is the question, no ^^
But easily computable using another rendering pipeline rendered just after the SSAO rendering pipeline (chained post-processes)

I have a new version of the SSAO on the PC but I'm still working on the breaking changes I created. In fact, the new pipeline breaks the pure SSAO results (not the code), so the users will have to reset their parameters. And does not use the standard blur post-processes anymore, I opted for a bilateral blur post-process that removes well the "textile effect"

I'll keep you in touch :)

Hi @Luaacro...  thank you so much for that answer, extra information, and for your work on new SSAO.  VERY nice of you! 

I'll leave the SSAO docs as-is, for now.  I had two adjustments in mind... but they were basic.   #1  Tell what is SSAO (at the top of the doc)... and #2 add a section about tilt-shift if we had that feature.

We can revisit the SSAO doc, later, if wanted.  I have plenty of work to do on other docs.  Thanks again for the response/info.

Hi gang!  I have been doing a slow, backwards tour of our "all tutorials" list.  I check spelling, look for terrible English, look for broken links, typos, you know, the usual things that a docs janitor might clean-up.

Ya know what?  We have some of the best documentation writers in the entire world... right here.  There are some complicated advanced features in webGL that are NOT easy to explain, but...  our documentation contributors have done a GREAT JOB!   All of you... should be very proud and pat yourselves on the backs. 

Whenever I "dive into" janitor mode, I have dreads.  But every time I visit our documentation, that dread disappears and is replaced with joy and pride.

Sure, there are gaps that could be filled... but most of those gaps are caused by people lacking JS skills.  As for the framework itself, our docs do a GRAND JOB at shining light into all corners.  That happens...  due to our docs authors and editors... covering all the bases (being thorough). 

Raise a toast to yourselves, documentation authors!  Babylon.js has SWEET tutorials because of you!  Keep up the great work!

Which tutorial is on the examination table now, you ask?  Well it is our Octree Tutorial, and it is yet another great doc written by one of our friends.  I am a big fan of "woods"... and...well... you see that ?INSTANCES demo at the bottom of the doc?  Ahem.  I had to bring it into a playground demo.

http://playground.babylonjs.com/#25Z6LR

I still have some "hot" lights coming from somewhere... but I'll find the reason.  Don't you love woods/forests?  *nod*.  This is a fine one, coded by one of our friends.  Mid-resolution and still blazing fast.  This seems like a perfectly good forest for someone to code-up "Log Cabin Maker v1.0", yes?  Throw a couple of rabbit.babylon models on the front porch... playing banjos, and then we're good to go, right?  :)  Oh, don't forget that campfire pit/circle nearby... where we gather at night and tell of our adventures with Babylon.js.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone - I have been thinking - always a dangerous thing to do. Looking at the documentation site I am not sure that the arrangement makes it easy for a newcomer to BJS to find what they might need to know. So below there's an attempt for a new arrangement I would like members to consider.

Left most are the headings that go in title bar, then next indent chapter image headings and the final indent gives pages. Lack of knowledge on some topics may has them in a wrong category. All this stuff is set in sand there are probably much better arrangements and titles - I was playing with Extras for Extensions for examples.

So friends

Does the documentation need re-organising? If yes then :-

Does this attempt have any merit?

Any better category titles?

Is there a better way to re-organise?

By the way I wouldn't suggest it if I wasn't prepared to put the work in to do it but only if there is some agreement on what it might look like after re-organisation.:)

One thing this might show is where there might be gaps in the documentation.

THE ATTEMPT

Videos                
        All        
                     3D on the Web Understanding the Basics
                     WebGL Basics
                     Using Babylon.js for Beginners
                     Understanding Materials and Inputs
                     Game Pipeline Integration with Babylon.js
                     Loading Assets
                     Babylon.js Advanced Features
                     Special Effects
                     Video courses
                     3D Programming with WebGL and Babylon.js for Beginners

Starting Out                
        Intro to        
                A Babylon.js Primer
                Creating a Basic Scene

Playgrounds 
        All                       
                    The Playground Tutorial
                    Interesting Playgrounds
                    Search the Playground

Working with                
        Camera Basics        
                Cameras
                Cameras, Mesh Collisions and Gravity
        Camera Intermediate        
                Customizing camera inputs
        Camera Advanced        
                How to use VirtualJoysticksCamera
                Using depth-of-field and other lens effects
        Canvas2d Intermediate        
                Canvas 2D Home
                Canvas 2D overview and architecture
                Using the Canvas2d
        Canvas2d Advanced        
                Creating your own primitive type for the Canvas2d
        Environment Basics        
                Environment
                Height_Map
                Shadows
        Environment Intermediate        
                Creating a Convincing World
        Events Advanced        
                How to use Actions
                Handling Babylon.js events with observables
        Games Intermediate        
                Creating a Small 3D Game with Babylon.js
                Creating a 3D WebGL Procedural QR-Code Maze with Physics
                Using WebGL to Create Games for the Windows Store
        Lights Basics        
                Lights
        Lights Intermediate        
                More About Lights
        Lights Advanced        
                How to use Lens Flares
                Layermasks and Multi-cam Textures
        Loader Intermediate        
                Loading a Scene Produced with Blender
                Caching Resources in IndexedDB
                Using the Incremental Loading System
                Creating a custom loading screen
        Loader Advanced        
                How to Create Your Own File Importer
                How to use AssetsManager
        Material Basics        
                Materials
        Material Intermediate        
                Using Multi-Materials
                Advanced Texturing
                Unleash the StandardMaterial
                Using Parallax Mapping
                Introduction to Physically Based Rendering
        Material Advanced        
                How to create a material for the materials library
                How to create a procedural texture for the procedural textures library
                How to use DepthRenderer to get depth values
                How to use FresnelParameters
                How to use Procedural Textures
                How to use Reflection Probes
                Master the Physically Based Rendering
        Mesh Basics        
                How Rotations and Translations Work
                Discover Basic Elements
                Parametric Shapes
                CreateBox per face colors and textures tutorial
                Mesh CreateXXX Methods With Options Parameter
                Animations
                Intersect Collisions - mesh
                Picking Collisions
                Position, Rotation, Scaling
        Mesh Intermediate        
                Position, Rotate, Translate and Spaces
                Ribbon Tutorial
                Using decals
        Mesh Advanced        
                How to dynamically morph a mesh
                How to Merge Meshes
                How to use Instances
                How to use LOD
                How to use the Tags System
                How to use Tiled Grounds
                In-Browser Mesh Simplification (Auto-LOD)
                Transparency and How Meshes Are Rendered
                How to use EdgesRenderer
                How to use Blend Modes
                Optimizing Your Scene with Octrees
                How to use Bones and Skeletons
                How to use Curve3
                How to use Path3D
        Particles Basics        
                Particles
        Particles Intermediate        
                How to use the Solid Particle System
        Physics Basics        
                Physics Engine - Basic Usage
        Physics Intermediate        
                Using the Cannon.js Physics Engine
                Using the Oimo.js Physics Engine
        Physics Advanced        
                Adding Your Own Physics Engine Plugin to Babylon.js
        Scene Advanced        
                How to use Multi-Views
                How to use SceneOptimizer
                Render Scene on a PNG
                Using logarithmic depth buffer
                Optimizing your scene

More                
        General        
                Approved Naming Conventions
                Creating the Mini-fied Version
                Framework versions
                FileFormat Map (.babylon)
                Setup Visual Studio to contribute to Babylon.js
                Roadmap
                Using the Debug Layer
                Supporting fog with ShaderMaterial
                Understanding Shaders with Babylon.js and ShaderMaterial
                Playing sounds and music
                Sprites
                The Babylon.js Sandbox and Editor
        PostProcess        
                How to use PostProcesss
                How to use PostProcessenderPipeline
                Using the HDR Rendering Pipeline
                Using the SSAO rendering pipeline
                Using the Volumetric LightScattering post-process

Exporters                
        3DSMax        
                3DSMax
                Bones influences per vertex
        Blender        
                Blender
                Blender tips
                Installing the Babylon Exporter
                Working with Blender
        Cheetah3D        
                Cheetah3D
        Unity        
                Unity

Extensions                
        Loaders        
                STL
                OBJ
                glTF
        BabylonHx        
                Introduction
        Materials library        
                Fire
                Water
                Lava
                Fur
                Normal
                Terrain
                Tri-Planar Mapping
                Gradient
                Sky
                Grid
        POV        
                POV
        bGUI        
                bGUI
                GUIGroup
                GUIObject
                GUIPanel
                GUISystem
                GUIText
        Tree Generators        
                Simple Pine Generator
                SPS Tree Generator
                Quick Tree Generator
        Editor        
                Introduction
                Getting Started
                Managing Animations
                Creating Cinematic
                Creating Particle Systems
                Creating Materials
                Managing Materials
                Managing Lens Flare Systems
        CastorGUI        
                CastorGUI
                GUIButton
                GUICheckbox
                GUIColor
                GUIDialog
                GUIFieldset
                GUIGroup
                GUILabel
                GUIManager
                GUIMeter
                GUIPanel
                GUIProgress
                GUIRadio
                GUISelect
                GUISlider
                GUISpinner
                GUIText
                GUITextarea
                GUITextfield
                GUITextures
                GUIWindow

Hi JK, thx for the input!  Do any documents need changing?  If not, I'd say make this a webpage, let's publish it somewhere, and offer it as another interface to our docs.  Or maybe make it a doc in .md, a table/table of contents.... so it builds somewhat dynamically.

What do they call things like that?  A 'facade'?  Another interface to our tutorials.  More of a "programmer's manual" format.  I like it. 

We could store this and many other interfaces... in a folder at github.  I did a couple of things like that... for "best of the classes" once. (called hotlists).  Big .md table of links to most-used classes.

Some of the things in your list are tutorials (statics), and some are class-docs, right John? 

If you DO make this into an .md, do you know about using URL's like h t t p://doc.babylonjs.com/classes/CubeTexture ?  Notice there is no 2.2/ or 2.3/ etc?  Those version frags are inserted when the docs are built.  This applies ONLY to URL's to class docs, not static tuts.

For now, I'd say create it as if it were a new tutorial.  Create it in content/tutorials/playpen, maybe.  Add its name to statics.json, too, and then we'll build that puppy and see how she plays.  John, you do home builds, so you can create the doc at home, adjust your statics.json at home, and do a build.  I think our table-of-contents builder simply triggers from #, ##, and ### line prefaces... a fairly simple header system.  Just like your other excellent docs, John.

Later, we can beg Temechon into helping us include a new folder in the build stream... so it gets freshly built with every build, yet does not show up AS a tutorial link.  (It might live in a special folder, and if it does, our build system needs adjusting to include that new folder.  The auto-TOC will then operate on it, and the class-doc URLs will get their correct version fragment inserts.

I would tend to think that the alternative interface would have its own URL, and would not be shown by default @ http://doc.babylonjs.com/

Perhaps http://doc.babylonjs.com/views/jk1  ?  Would that be annoying?   *shrug*  Just one idea... not sure if I'm talking wisely.  :)

@Wingnut it was just for the static tutorials I did not mess with the classes as I thought they were well indexed and organised. Think I have got the idea of a facade, you keep the original structure but by adding a new JSON file you can produce another alternative organisation of the web pages.

So @Deltakosh am I correct in thinking that if in the statics.json file a new line was added for each entry then the build could produce an additional way of looking at the content?

If so then something like the below could produce the alternative.

{
      "title": "The Play Pen Tutorials",
      "name": "01_Play_Pen",
      "img": "img/tutorials/01.ThePlayPenTutorials.png",
      "desc": "The tutorials of the playpen.",
      "files": [
        {
          "title": "Creating a Basic Scene",
          "filename": "Creating_a_Basic_Scene",
          "index": "Starting out"
        },
        {
          "title": "Discover Basic Elements",
          "filename": "Discover_Basic_Elements",
          "index": "Starting out"
        },

Further thoughts - instead of  re-organised alternative web pages it could create index page(s) in which case the categories could be widened and pages appear in more than one category

for example

{
          "title": "Cameras, Mesh Collisions and Gravity",
          "filename": "Cameras,_Mesh_Collisions_and_Gravity",
          "index": ["Camera", "Mesh", "Gravity", Collisions],
          "level": "Basic"
        },
        {
          "title": "Intersect Collisions - mesh",
          "filename": "Intersect_Collisions_-_mesh"
          "index": ["Mesh", Collisions],
        },
        {
          "title": "Picking Collisions",
          "filename": "Picking_Collisions"
          "index": ["Picking", "Mesh", Collisions],
        },

which could produce something like

Camera Basics        
                Cameras

Collisions Basics 

Mesh Basics
                Picking Collisions

Picking Basics
                Picking Collisions

OK not sure the categories are the best to have but perhaps the concept is workable. More work for those submitting pages to documentation to decide on and enter categories.

Also not sure that basic, intermediate and advanced is the correct terminology just because alphabetically advanced come first but at the moment cannot think of anything better.

Finally my knowledge on 'grunting' would not be enough for me to work on doing anything like this other than once such a system was set up I would be happy to add the entries in the appropriate JSON file.

Hi again, John.  For testing, I don't think you'll need any "new" json file.  If you convert your list to an md document (perhaps located in content/tutorials/playpen for now), you just need to add one line to statics.json... the new doc's file name.  The challenge might be in making our auto-TOC create links to other documents, instead of making links to anchors within that SAME document.  Here's a sample output from our auto-TOC...

<li><a href="#position-and-rotation-methods">Position and Rotation Methods</a><ul>
<li><a href="#position">Position</a></li>
<li><a href="#rotation">Rotation</a></li>
</ul>
</li>
<li><a href="#translate-and-rotate">Translate and Rotate</a><ul>
<li><a href="#translate">Translate</a><ul>
<li><a href="#the-world-space">The World Space</a></li>
<li><a href="#the-local-space">The Local Space</a></li>
</ul>
</li>
<li><a href="#rotate">Rotate</a><ul>
<li><a href="#the-world-space">The world space</a></li>
<li><a href="#the-local-space">The local space</a></li>
</ul>

All anchors.  No off-document links.  hmm.

Maybe just make your list as a pure html doc... and keep it anywhere, John.  And then, on our main tutorials page... see the 5 category buttons at the top?  Perhaps... one more button... "alternative views". If clicked, we show a link to your doc... wherever it is stored... and to any others who wish to make facades.  You could have many facades listed there.  If you are not going to point to any classdocs, then the urls in your doc should stay fresh across framework version-changes.  ie. Most static docs don't change URL's, but more statics are added fairly often, so you would need to keep it updated in that way.

In short, the docs build really doesn't need to process your facade at all, John.  You can make it pure HTML doc, style it your way, design your way, have full control... and store it anywhere.  Then, we just start handing out its URL on the forum and hope YOU don't change web-servers too often.  :)

IF you were to use the auto-TOC to build the list... then you are stuck with IT'S styles and limitations... and we likely need to adjust the TOC generator and make it LEARN how to use off-document URL's sometimes.  Maybe not easy.  But if your list was a good ol' webpage, you get some serious control about how it looks, and easy modding. 

If you store it at BJS github, all of us dockers could check it for stale/new links periodically.  If you store it on your web-server or similar, then YOU must keep it fresh, as wanted.  No help from others.  You know this, I dunno why I am stating this... sorry.  :)

I think that is what I would do.  Make it a webpage, put the styles in a <style> element within the doc, and go crazy.  Lots of link URL's to stock into it, but... full power.  Use tables or not, bullet lists, colors, fonts, spacings, borders, a complete free-for-all for JK!  It doesn't matter where you store the doc, just so the link URL's inside it... point to BJS docs land.  :)  We can STILL store it at @ http://doc.babylonjs.com/somefolder but since it is already HTML and carries its own CSS styles... the build can completely ignore it.  No json/gulp/grunt adjustments needed.

Just thoughts.  *shrug*   

:)

A couple of suggestions.  First, you CAN use URL's to class docs in your web page... as wanted.  Remember our example?  h t t p://doc.babylonjs.com/classes/CubeTexture

When you browse that url, there is an auto-redirector that inserts "2.4/" into the URL auto-magically.  Works great.  See, your "programmers manual" facade... COULD get rather super-powered.  ;)  YOU could offer-up a "Hottest Classes" table on your new facade... easily.  Just another great feature... from JK Industries.  :)

Avoid selectors... those "choose from this list" HTML elements.  Trying to manually update your own list of BJS classes... could kill you.  Generally speaking, if you want to offer your facade users a link to a list of BJS classes, then just send them to the default list of classes.  Easier.  :)   Maintain sanity. heh  But still, you might find a time and place when you want to show them a class doc URL or two.  That option is open... no worries about versions.  Keep in mind that your facade.... can actually contain documentation from YOU... built-in.  One example might be little pop-ups that happen... to teach how to use YOUR doc.  Hints and tips, ya know?  The doc is yours, and it could get out-of-control helpy.  :)  You might become a superstar! (even more than you currently are!)

Well Wingy I went for a much simpler option in the end and just created a .md page that contains the categories as above and put it in overviews - maps. Submitted a PR today so will need to wait to see if accepted. Feedback on the page would be welcome. Next I will give a go at creating an alternative documentation set and store it on my github (just for the fun of it. )

• 4 weeks later...

Cool.  Yeah, your interface idea takes me back to the old Commodore 64 Programmer's Manual - not a bad slab-o-documentation, really.  It and I had a very intimate relationship.  It's even gone to the bathroom with me.... many times... but that's certainly TMI.  ;)

On other subjects, today I toured our reflection probe tutorial, checking its PG link, and smiling at "you also need to move your probe at the center of the mesh which should use the generated cube map".  Isn't that just adorable?!   I started thinking about "place at" and "move to" English connections, and then started wondering if "place to" and "move at" were just as "English legal" as move-to and place-at... yet much more fun.  Sometimes, I really like "curve balls" found in unusual English usage.  Entertaining and thought-provoking.

Then I started thinking about reflection probes having a .position and thought about animating it, so I did.

http://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#KA93U#159

Wow... 158 playgrounds before mine.  I take it you guys like playing with reflection probes?  *nod*  Me, too.  And notice those setPivotMatrix(BABYLON.Matrix.Translation(-1, 3, 0)) calls?  That's a much cleaner and shorter way to set pivot points... than the move-bake-unmove method (which I use often), eh?  I like it.  This is probably Deltakosh code in the reflection probe demo.  It has his signature efficiency on-board.  But others can code that efficiently, too.  Just not me.  :)

I cosine-animated the probe position (with gizmo riding-along), and I have a slow rotation on the box-ground, too.  Interesting.  In the classdoc for reflectionProbes,  notice that the .cubeTexture property is a RenderTargetTexture.  A quick sniff at its constructor shows that the optional 6th and 7th parameters... are type and isCube.  So, off I went looking for our wonderful renderTargetTexture tutorial... to see what those parameters were used-for.  But I could NOT find our renderTargetTexture tutorial.  Oh no!

So, who wants to write one?  C'mon, I know there's some volunteers nearby, and renderTargetTexture is an EXCELLENT tool and feature.  Quite a bit could be said about it, and it could use some playgrounds to show its MANY uses.  Playground search for renderTargetTexture should return a manageable number of demos, and I THINK there are uses for renderTargetTexture that have not yet been discovered.

So, who's up for the challenge?  First one in the door (don't forget to add its name to statics.json) gets my old C64 programmer's manual that used-to live in my bathroom!  YAY!   Probe on!

PS: We're seeing some sweet organizational changes at our docs site, too, eh?  Whomever is doing that tutorial menu color-coding and other streamlining... THANKS!  Looks nice!  Works great!

Wingy - did I say 'just for the fun of it' after much learning, messing things up by deleting the wrong bits, making lots of other mistakes I have the start of my alternative complementary documentation along way to go yet but little steps still get you there.

Guide beginnings at http://babylonjsguide.github.io/

Github at https://github.com/BabylonJSGuide