Dropping iOS 6 support for iOS 7.1?

away168

Hi guys, I've been thinking to upgrade my system requirements to at least iPod Touch 5th gen (previously iPod Touch 4th gen), which is the minimum device that supports iOS 7.

I am into the new features of iOS 7.1 for minimal-ui, also the fact that the devices used are iPod Touch 5th gen at a minimum, which allows me to push more performance on some of my games at a cost of lower market share. There's also a fact from my game testing about usability, if your game requires a lot of interaction from the bottom of the screen, most likely users (especially my mom ;D) will touch the browser buttons at the bottom, which is frustrating.

The question lies on how big is market share of devices below iOS 7/7.1 right now?

What do you think guys? Do you think it's worth it? anyone has data on iPod Touch 5th gen/iPhone 5/iPad mini market share among themselves?

Anyone of you dropping iPod Touch 4th gen already?

I am about to do it this year for my next game, as my next game requires more power.

Thanks!

Thanks for the number guys.

You have to take these numbers with a grain of salt.

The iOS7 adoption rates are always based on the iOS7-capable devices. So of all iOS7 capable devices, it's 83%. The rest is still there of course and depending on what one does, should and must be taken into account.

Yeah I think so too, the calculation is based on iOS7 capable devices. I don't know the others.

I cross checked with an article in a tech iphone website saying they had 92% ios 7 visitors. the explanation is in the ever growing sales of new iphones/ipads outnumbering the remaining "old" hardware.

One good reason to drop iOS 6 then. ;) What do you think?

need to buy a new device! ;) but since they sold 500 millions of ios devices, 8% is still quite a lot.

Yeah. Can't make everyone happy, even though my mission to deliver across all media  :(. It's quality vs quantity stuff and always been a dilemma.

I guess I'll go on without iOS 6. Well some of my games may be allowed to run in iPod Touch 4th gen of course, if the game is playable to 30 fps. But if the game is restrictively 60 fps, then iPod Touch 5th gen here I come!

Thanks guys!  :lol: