Video Games are Dead

philhark

Fair enough. 

Video games are dead.  Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft is proof.  Blizzard spends years building a $50 million game (which was probably Titan all along), and then gives it away because the market won't tolerate paying for it.

This market is no different.  It happened to Flash.  It will happen to HTML5 even faster.  Nobody will pay for any game made with the programming equivalent of a Lego set, and no programmer with an IQ above 70 is going to invest the time and money necessary to build a game with a real programming language when they know nobody will pay for it.  At best video games are a hobby now.

No paying customers = dead industry.  Even with the golden promise of HTML5 to save us all. 

Read my article for the details.

Well, I started out making games a few years ago and even though I don't have much experience with it, I've been able to make over $10,000 in the last two months. Just because a big company like Blizzard's game crashes doesn't mean our games are going to. We don't need paying customers to make money, just sponsors.

If you make $5000 a month for the rest of this year, and $7500 a month all next year, that's a business.   $10k in two months is a lottery win.

The sponsors need paying customers.  So do their advertisers.  Neither of them have paying customers.  Read the article.

Video games are dead.  You have no customers.

This is retarded.

Blizzard makes Diablo 3, it sucks, still sells 6.7 million copies.
Blizzard makes an expansion for the shitty game, still sells 2.7 million copies.

Hearthstone was never meant to be a retail product. Noone is going to play 60 dollars for a card game with no single player. All these games are monetized by micro transactions that blizzard hasn't even begun to utilize efficiently. I think it already exceeded exceptions by being consistently one of the top games streamed.

Flash and HTML5 games were never sold directly to customers either. They were always monetized by ad revenue which has little relevance to people wanting to buy games.

0/10

I have read your article, but I disagree with most of it. Of cause the people buying games off me have paying customers if they didn't they wouldn't buy them off me.

My profit each month has been steadily increasing from about $1000 the first month to an average of $3500-$5000 each month now. The quality of my games has also been steadily improving as well. My first html5 game was this Evoid Now I can pump out a game like this in just under a week. Itzy Bitzy Spider This is quite an old game as well. The games I'm working on are of much better quality.

Noone is going to play 60 dollars for a card game with no single player.

The "0/10" was a nice touch.  You're the guy video game developers are supposed to bank on as a paying customer after they drop seven figures and three years of work, right?  

You just proved my point.

The "0/10" was a nice touch.  You're the guy video game developers are supposed to bank on as a paying customer after they drop seven figures and three years of work, right?  

You just proved my point.

Millions of other people and I bought South Park Stick of Truth.

I'd buy Dota 2 if it cost money, but it doesn't.

I would not buy Hearthstone if it costs money.

The biggest game developers aren't giving their games away for free out of necessity. They are making a conscious choice because they realize getting certain competitive games to be played a much people as possible, Dota, LoL, Hearthstone, is much more advantageous than charging money for the retail product. Blizzard learned this the hard way with StarCraft2.

I can't tell if you're trolling or just incredibly out of date and stupid.

Of cause the people buying games off me have paying customers if they didn't they wouldn't buy them off me.

Who?  Where?  What are they selling and to whom?  How many unit sales do you have at retail? 

Show me three years of month over month retail sales growth.   Show me your balance sheet and quarterly income statements.

The biggest game developers aren't giving their games away for free out of necessity.

Yeah they are.  Because people like you don't buy games.   South Park Stick of Truth is a console game.  The only reason you bought it is because you can't pirate it. 

Dota, LoL, Hearthstone, is much more advantageous than charging money for the retail product.

That's the kind of logic that proves my point that video games are dead.   It's always a great idea to spend millions on a product and then give it away.

Blizzard learned this the hard way with StarCraft2

You do realize you are proving my point the more you reply, don't you?

Who?  Where?  What are they selling and to whom?  How many unit sales do you have at retail? 

Show me three years of month over month retail sales growth.   Show me your balance sheet and quarterly income statements.

Of cause I'm not going to tell you who I sell games to. "Where?" that doesn't even make any sense. You do realise how most people and I sell html5 games; To sponsors who then usually implement ads in the games or something of the sort and host it on their website. I don't earn any profit from the games after selling it to sponsor unless it's for ad revenue. I've only been making html5 games for the last 5-6 months, I could tell you which games I've sold and at what price in which month but nothing else as I'm not obligated to give out personal information.

Yeah they are.  Because people like you don't buy games.   South Park Stick of Truth is a console game.  The only reason you bought it is because you can't pirate it. 

That's the kind of logic that proves my point that video games are dead.   It's always a great idea to spend millions on a product and then give it away.

You do realize you are proving my point the more you reply, don't you?

I bought it for PC.

If what you are saying is true, why are companies spending millions of dollars on a product they give away for free. How can Riot Games, a company that only has one free game be in business for 8 years?

Starcraft 2 was a comparative failure to Dota 2 and LoL and Hearthstone because it was aimed to be a competitive game that was going to be supported after release but failed to gain the number of players the most popular competitive games today have, yet it still sold 4.5 million copies. You cannot comprehend that there are other viable monetizing options than the traditional make product sell product model.

If what you are saying is true, why are companies spending millions of dollars on a product they give away for free.

For the same reason there were more E.T. cartridges made than there were consoles to play them:  stupidity. 

How can Riot Games, a company that only has one free game be in business for 8 years?

For the same reason Twitter and Facebook were able to IPO with no profits:  dad is paying the bills.

Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft is proof.  Blizzard spends years building a $50 million game (which was probably Titan all along), and then gives it away because the market won't tolerate paying for it.

Hearthstone was always going to be F2P with microtransactions.

It's always a great idea to spend millions on a product and then give it away.

They're not giving the games away, it's part of the business model that relies on microtransactions.

It's a model that works, as much as we all hate the 'free to play' model, they bring in big money for the companies like Riot.

dad is paying the bills.

What kind of conspiracy do you think is going on?

You don't understand the microtransaction business model at all.

You're either a complete nutter, or a troll.

What kind of conspiracy do you think is going on?

Do you know how to read a 10-k?  Do you even know what that is without Googling it? 

You don't understand the microtransaction business model at all.

Well I know according to you players hate it.  So naturally that's what the game industry is relying on to stay afloat.

Players don't want to pay.   They want free games so they can complain about them on the Internet.  That's why companies are making their products free and then begging players to buy $0.99 add-ons.    Just another maggot to pick off the corpse.

Video games are dead. 

"Now I know what you're thinking. You're probably already looking for a reply button so you can shout me down, but there is no reply button. You're not here to talk. You're here to listen."

Why post this on the forums then?

To be honest, I'm annoyed at myself for replying to this topic. It's a stupid topic because you obviously just wanted to start an argument and have no room for change.

We're posting giant animated GIFs now, so apparently this is Reddit. 

I note that there are no substantive responses to the article itself here.   Just wild unsupported claims about all the money someone is supposedly making and anecdotal stories about someone who bought a PC game once.

Fine, let's see the real data. 

What I have says the only games that sell are locked behind nine layers of DRM.  And right after they sell everyone runs to the Internet to complain about them.  Well, first they cry about the DRM.  (because they didn't want to pay)  Then they cry about how much the game sucks. 

Oh, and eight of the top ten best selling games in 2013 were sequels.  Nine were for consoles.  None were on mobile.  None were web games or casual games or apps.

Keep buying those lottery tickets!