Should i start with HTML5 or Unity

Ted

It really depends on what your goal is.

Do you want to make 3d games? Do you want to develop skills to work for an indie company eventually (most use Unity)? Do you like working in a GUI/are you not very good at coding? Unity is better for these scenarios.

However, if you're a decent coder and you prefer a more programming-centered workflow, and if you are planning to build 2D games, then use Phaser. Phaser is flexible enough to allow you to build pretty much any 2D game that you can imagine, and it's MUCH better for 2D than Unity. I've done a bit of 2D game development in Unity and I found the UI a bit cumbersome, though this may be more due to my personal preferences than anything else. The fact that Phaser is open source is also a huge plus, since you can figure out exactly how your code is working fairly easily just by looking through the javascript and you can modify/extend the framework's behavior.

Try both and there is no reason not to keep using both! :D

If you are struggling with one but the other is making sense - you know which way to go (while you learn). There are plenty of tutorials and help etc. for both.