Lxk8 – my first (very) short game

antonio

Hi guys,

my little game I did over the past weeks is nearly done. Haven't made a nice landing page yet, but I wanted to see what you guys think about it. It should work on Webkit and Firefox, with Mouse and Touch.

Here it is:

http://ntonio.de/lab/skate/24/

post-285-0-89675000-1369168596.png

I haven't had a clear Idea when I started. I just wanted to see if I can make something that would be acceptable as short game. I knew a little JS, mostly jQuery, and had some programming experience with Processing. I decided to go with plain JS/Canvas, because I could also use the learnings in Frontend-Development, which I do for a living. Also because many people can play it without needing extra plugins.

Besides a touch/click-library, the whole thing is library-free. I bought and used Pixen and TexturePacker for the graphics and animations. I earlier versions I also had sound, but I decided to leave that out (maybe in a later version).

If you like, you can check out all the earlier versions on http://ntonio.de/lab/skate/

(some versions may contain sound)

I learned a ton working on this and I recommend it to everybody who is able to use a keyboard.

My next steps will be to learn ImpactJS and read a book on game design (Book of Lenses).

Cheers!

Cute little game - especially when reading your initial knowledge when you started the project. Runs really smooth and gfx are looking good, too. I think there is more potential in your game. Could be more challenging if you add some obstacles in it (hitting it you drop some brezels).

Anyway, good work!

I like the graphics, did you draw them yourself? Nice coherent style.

There's some sort of choppiness going on. If I play the game and focus my eyes on the skater I don't notice it that much.

If I instead focus my eyes om the "5"-sign at the start for exampel and just track that as it moves along, there's like an interval of chugging. Like every 0.8 second something like that, it jumps a bit.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

@nuvorm

OMG, my game sure looks like a bad ripoff of "Am Skater". I can assure you, though, I didn't know it before. I just wanted to make a simple automatic sidescroller. My little guy is actually my pal Alex. We started skate(and long-)boarding last summer and all the things in the game are actual things at places where we skate. so it's basically one big insider-joke.

I have one big spritesheet, if that is what you mean. You can see it here:

http://ntonio.de/lab/skate/24/img/spritesheet.png

Then I calculate what object is visible and display it.

@tackle

Thanks! I made everything myself. I used to do lots of drawing and digital painting a few years ago.

I'll check out the choppiness. One of the last changes was to switch from setInterval to requestAnimFrame, maybe the error is there somewhere.