[Phaser] [WIP] Dualiet: entry for #lowrezjam

codevinsky

The point of #lowrezjam is to code a game that could fit inside of a 32x32 pixel display without any mid-pixel interpolation. 

It appears that Chrome and IE have upscaling issues that I haven't yet been able to figure out, so try to play this in: Firefox, or Safari

There's music, and the game tries to move with the beat.

Left/Right arrows to move.

Because it's a WIP, currently you must refresh to restart

PLAY: dualiet: #lowrezjam wip entry

Thoughts?

Comments?

Nice concept!  Probably a little challenging for some people.  Maybe you could add an "easy" mode by just shifting the position of the two balls down a bit so a casual player would have more time to react.

I liked the music but was too busy trying to win to notice that the game was in beat to the music.  Great job, especially given the lowrez constraint!  

Looks pretty cool but it's hard... I would definitely move the balls almost all the way down so there's more time to react. Also:

post-7181-0-74148300-1399369894.png

While technically not "mid-pixel interpolation," it's interpolation nonetheless (but I guess it's a matter of style really.) Have you tried it with "game.stage.smoothed = false"? (edit: nevermind, I see it's already set to false.)

About upscaling in the browser:
From what I understand "game.stage.smoothed" controls the rendering of scaled&rotated graphics inside a Phaser canvas (if false, they shouldn't be anti-aliased, but it looks like they are here.)
Here, from what I see, the game is rendered in 32x32 canvas which is then upscaled. The standard answer to that problem should be the "image rendering" CSS property, but for whatever reason Chrome still does not support nearest-neighbor interpolation. (more info here.) Apparently there's a solution for upscaled canvas that you could try: http://stackoverflow.com/a/11751817