shmikucis

Game editor on Phaser

88 posts in this topic

Just so you know the editor isn't working on safari mac, get the error: TypeError: Attempted to assign to readonly property.    eClass.js:424

Good work though, can see this being very useful! 

Funny, I started the same kind of project a few weeks ago for my own needs.

I don't use Phaser, but good work ;-)

> Kai

We are still thinking on some kind of model for editor, but currently the focus is on adding features. Whatever the model will be, basic features will stay for free and we could ask money only for advanced features.

> Zef

fixed. Will be on server with next update

> Deban

Some type of games need predefined map and it would be hassle to put x, y coordinates for all objects manually in the code. Sometimes it is easier to do it visually with drag&drop interface. MightyEditor allows you to do this kind of thing in real time. There are no set-up/installation needed as it is web based. You can also test your maps in real-time just implementing export file url.
For future we are planing to add many more features like creating UI, tweens, animations, particles, physic...

> Akis

Thanks! Actually you can use this editor not only for Phaser as long your game can parsa json data :)

> Deban

Some type of games need predefined map and it would be hassle to put x, y coordinates for all objects manually in the code. Sometimes it is easier to do it visually with drag&drop interface. MightyEditor allows you to do this kind of thing in real time. There are no set-up/installation needed as it is web based. You can also test your maps in real-time just implementing export file url.

For future we are planing to add many more features like creating UI, tweens, animations, particles, physic...

I don't want to sound rude, I'm just trying to understand.

You don't answer my question, what are the benefits of using MightyEditor over Tiled?

Both are map editor, so of course you place things visually, in real time.

And the test in real time is false, you need to create a game in phaser, and load the map (exactly the same way you would do with tiled), then you need to open your game and reload the map. It's exactly the same as using tiled or this, the only difference is that in tiled you need to save (ctrl+s) and this is saved automatically.

Real time testing means that I put a tile, and I can jump in that tile from inside the editor. Which is impossible with an external tool, because it can't know how your game works.

The only benefit that I read so far is that is web based. Which is a set back for me.

If Tiled die for some reason, I still have the binary in my computer, I can still use the tool. I'm not binded to it's future.

If MightyEditor dies (or even the webpage is down), I can't use it again.

Surely the difference is that Tiled exports, well.. a grid aligned fixed size tile map. And tile maps are great and all, but for loads of games aren't actually suitable. You wouldn't use Tiled to layout elements on a title page for example, but you could easily do so with this (and tools like it).

Surely the difference is that Tiled exports, well.. a grid aligned fixed size tile map. And tile maps are great and all, but for loads of games aren't actually suitable. You wouldn't use Tiled to layout elements on a title page for example, but you could easily do so with this (and tools like it).

Thank you for answering.

Tiled include a object layer. The object layer let you place an image outside of the grid. Here is an image from the official web.

Trying to stop criticizing and start helping.

Mmm... how about supporting texture atlas? I don't mean a sprite sheet where all images are the same size, nor an animation. I mean something like the export product from texture packer.

You upload a texture atlas and the information file; and all the individual images are automatically loaded for easy access.

That will be pretty cool and will make it stand aside from other map editors.

Yeah I know Tiled includes an Object layer - but try defining a motion path on it, or a Text object :) It can't even place Images at coordinates beyond 0,0 yet! And even if it did all of this you would have to write your own kind of parser to extract these objects and rebuild their properties, etc. It's not impossible of course, but it's a non-trivial amount of effort.

I share your concerns about having a "web based editor" though, it's the reason I could never use a "cloud" based code editor either, but the difference is that they can offer a lot more immediate interactivity, more 'custom' behaviours than Tiled ever could (because they do 2 very different things).

Try the daily builds instead of the 0.9.1 version. Lot's of improvements. Moving images and better objects among them.

The text is a good thing, but your don't usually want to place static text. If you want a static text big chances are you are using an edited image to have the text looking exactly the way you like.

Supposing you want a static text and don't use an image, you won't want just text, you want the perfect text, so you need to have access to all pixis text tools (for example). I have no idea if this editor does it or don't. 

If you want dynamic text, big changes are a normal image will do just as good, because you will only need the position and made all the changes by code.

I'm sorry for being so negative, I'm not trying to destroy this editor. It's just that I think that creating new tools when there are really amazing tools, isn't really a good idea, for no one.

I think that it will be really better if time was expend improving the existing tool. Mainly when they are open source.

For example, if I started a new html5 canvas/webgl render framework, it will take me a lot of time and won't be really useful for the community "Look, another option that does the same". It will be better for me, my time and other people; if I just improve pixi.

Maybe I could even make a fork of phaser and start my own engine to fit my needs. Even that way, a lot of things can be merged and improve a lot of users experience. Worst case scenario, extension could be created to expand phaser for specific needs.

I'm new to cloud thingies, could you explain me how they could offer mode interactivity or custom behaviours? Seems interesting.

They only thing that I can think about is personalizing the experience based on the current user, but is also applied to any program connected to the internet.

I think the difference is that Tiled is a map editor, not a game editor. It's a very good map editor (mostly, it still does some really weird shit from time to time and is sorely lacking features found in editors like DAME), but it does what it does quite well.

A true visual game editor can be so much more though. Visual path / AI planning and routing, configurable and instantly testable physics properties, animation look a bit slow? tweak it right there until it looks right. Hook sounds to events, tweens to images, etc, etc. Depending on the power of the editor depends just how far and how easy this can be made. Look at what's possible in Unity these days for example. That's what a real game editor can offer, that a map editor can't (and really you could argue it shouldn't try to either, because it dilutes it's core objective).

Does that make more sense?

Perfect sense.

I started drooling while I was reading.

MightyEditor doesn't have any of those features, but hey... you need to start somewhere.

Shmikucism, how about making it open source so we can all contribute to it and make it really mighty?

Exactly. It would take years to build an editor that had them all. But you're right, the power of open source could possibly speed that up a lot.

We had a discussion in our team, and it seems that it might make sense to open source the editor. Our greatest concerns are about the ammount of peple who will be willing to contribute and about legit strategies how to support ($$$) the people from our team developing it, in later stages (for now its ok) if we make the basic version fully open source.

At the moment it seems that the next weeks update will come with open sourcing the editor. :)

P.S. Rich, maybe we can get sub-forum for editor? I wrote you e-mail a while ago but didn't get an answer.

Mike likes this

I don't think that trying to make money with a premium version will be a good idea.

Commonly the force around the opensource is greater than the force of the private parts.

So basically you will spend a month (for example) to create a premium feature, only to have it available in the free version in one week.

You can't really compete, not in power, nor features, nor ideas. The amount of people just make it impossible.

The way I have seen this implemented is by giving services, like cloud hosting, remote compiling (so you can make an ios app from windows for example), and the likes.

But it's more common to not make any money out of an opensource product, the benefit is usually improving the tool that you use to create your own games.

A small update. We are working on the last things to open-source editor. Currently chaos around editor UI (panels) has been re-factored to make it all look more understandable. Tileset support (similar to tiled editor) is almost finished. It took more time than we thought, but no worries, wait for news on the next week :)

Hi,

today, I'm very happy to announce a big update for MightyEditor,

besides that source code now is available for public: github.com/TheMightyFingers/mightyeditor

the biggest change is the tile layer support

basic usage:

• create tile layer from object panel menu
  • select created layer
  • adjust properties
  • in the bottom panel, all the assets will automatically appear in tile selection preview
  • select tile(s) from the palette and put tiles on the layer
  • to delete a tile, hold down ctrl key
a few additional changes:

• camera zoom issues in brush and stamp tools fixed
  • assets loading bug fixed - all objects had a "missing" image
  • slight performance improvements when dealing with many objects in one group
  • huge amount of UI improvements
  • double click on single object will select all objects with the same image
  • a bug report link has been added to the help and support drop-down menu - if you've found a bug - please don't hesitate to report it :)

in the next smaller release, we are planning to improve asset management:

* add atlas support

* change asset image - sometimes you need to update images - at the moment, the only way is to:

-> upload new images 

-> select all objects

-> select a new image

as you can see, it's quite annoying for such a simple task :)

we've also made development version available to public - it is almost always up to date with github version

if you're feeling adventurous - you can explore it here: mightyeditor.mightyfingers.com:8080 - sometimes it might get unstable 

and totally break down - don't use it for important projects

A small usability-request: Add an Upload-Button or at least a simple text "Drop asset files here" under assets. I was totally like "Huh!? where/how to begin?" when first opening the Mighty Editor.

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Hello,

Today, I've pushed the atlas loading support to Mighty Editor.

Usage: 

upload an image

select uploaded image

in the settings panel, click atlas and select atlas data file to start uploading

At the moment, the editor supports the same data formats as the Phaser:

* TEXTURE_ATLAS_JSON_ARRAY

* TEXTURE_ATLAS_JSON_HASH

* TEXTURE_ATLAS_XML_STARLING

The data format is detected automatically.

I can add additional data formats, if you need one - just make a request.

After atlas has been loaded, the editor will make a preview image of a full atlas and for every frame seperately (useful for animations).

At the moment, we don't think that the atlas creation tool has a high priority - but we will add it eventually.

For the image atlas creation, you can use any 3rd party tool you have used before or one of the following:

Free

or commercial

or by searching this forum.

Also now it's possible to update an asset image.

The next features we are planning to add are:

* source code editor - so you can launch your game straight from the editor

* timeline for sprite animations and tween keyframes

Edited by stauzs
shmikucis likes this

I've been trying to use this tool today.

It works reasonably well!

However, it takes -forever- to load (about a minute), due to the fact that your phaser file is so large and it appears your server is hella slow.

I might suggest moving it to heroku or S3.

@codevinsky

it's my fault - I have uploaded an unminified phaser (2MB!) to production again - fixed now

loading speed most likely depends on your goelocation - server is in Latvia - for Europe should be fine - not sure about USA or Eastern Asia

I'll contact my team about additional server in US

I submitted a couple of issues to github, but I guess I could mention them here:

• Sprite Angle is not currently exported correctly. It is always set to '0' in the exported data

• There's no way to start the server locally if you clone the repo. package.json needs to be created.

This can be done simply by:

$ cd Server/$ npm init

there will be a question like: "Do you wish to include the currently loaded modules as dependencies? Y/n"

Answer yes.