The first official Phaser book

lessmilk

Edit: the book is now available on discoverphaser.com

Hi everyone,

As you may have already heard, I'm working on the first official Phaser book. We made some good progress on the book in the last few weeks, so we can now share with you what will be included this new book:

- A big tutorial on how to make a full featured game from scratch

- How to make the game mobile friendly

- And more

Sounds interesting to you? Then you probably want to check out discoverphaser.com to see a preview of the game, and to register to the mailing list to get a 20% discount when the book is out.

The book should be available in the next couple of months. Let me know if you have any questions or feedback! 

I like the idea of a phaser book and will definitely get a copy when it is published. But, i hope this will not get a too basic book, because there are enough beginner books for the basics out there (html5 & javascript). Also, i think the most important (for me) is mobile development, and then i see the example game that you wanna make for the book has cursor movement! You are going to show how to implement player controls for mobile?

Got myself on that mailing list! Can't wait!!

Awesome :-)

I like the idea of a phaser book and will definitely get a copy when it is published. But, i hope this will not get a too basic book, because there are enough beginner books for the basics out there (html5 & javascript). Also, i think the most important (for me) is mobile development, and then i see the example game that you wanna make for the book has cursor movement! You are going to show how to implement player controls for mobile?

We won't be able to cover every Phaser feature available (that book would be too long to write), but we're trying do teach a lot of things (state management, arcade physics, tweens, particles, mobile inputs, local storage, code organisation, etc.)

This is simply AWESOME! :) 

I have just one quick suggestion:

Maybe in the "best practices to organise code" section, it would be interesting to talk about key performance issues/tips/best practices? This thread ( http://www.html5gamedevs.com/topic/6581-memory-management-for-performance/ ) is interesting because many beginners (like me) might not know exactly how to tackle these issues? It could also be interesting to know, for example, if using timers (extensively) decreases performance or not. I mean little things/tips like that could be really interesting even for general game programming practices.

I'm pumped for this, can't wait!

This is simply AWESOME! :)

I have just one quick suggestion:

Maybe in the "best practices to organise code" section, it would be interesting to talk about key performance issues/tips/best practices? This thread ( http://www.html5gamedevs.com/topic/6581-memory-management-for-performance/ ) is interesting because many beginners (like me) might not know exactly how to tackle these issues? It could also be interesting to know, for example, if using timers (extensively) decreases performance or not. I mean little things/tips like that could be really interesting even for general game programming practices.

I'm pumped for this, can't wait!

Thanks for the support :-)

And that's an interesting idea, we'll think about it!

I hope it's going to explain more in detail how to use the physics system, because for now I think it's still quite blurry in my head.

Like :

When should I declare game.physics.startSystem() ? I've used body and velocity without need for it.

When should I declare a enableBody = true and physicsBodyType = Phaser.Physics.ARCADE, cause sometimes, it's working, sometimes, it's useless.

Maybe it's just me but I found / still find this part of Phaser quite "difficult" to grasp in his whole.

Thx anyway for the book. 

I hope it's going to explain more in detail how to use the physics system, because for now I think it's still quite blurry in my head.

Thx anyway for the book. 

Yes, we will cover arcade physics!

Just wondered if this is going to be a 'real' paper book or just PDF?

Not interested in PDF as there's nothing like thumbing through a code book and marking useful sections. If it's a real book, I'm in!

It's going to be a pdf book for now, making a real book would have taken a lot more time.

Registered! Really looking forward to this guys, especially the code organization section.

Thanks! :-)

It's going to be a pdf book [...]

:wacko:

A pdf is more static then any online tutorial (lack of live examples) while it still requires you to use a pc (or tablet or reader) and it's also nothing haptic.

So kind of "the worst of both worlds"? :(

This is nothing against you, or Phaser, or the idea of a phaser book.

Just my feelings towards a pdf book.

I'm curious why you prefer paper book then ebook.

Ebooks and pdf code books are way more useful than paper ones ... you can use  "ctrl + f " :P and copy - paste :D

Also with all the electronic readers it's portable and doesn't tire the eyes.

Hm, I was just rather set on the idea that I would get to buy a "real" book, to put on my nightstand that I can pick up and thumb through a little.

Just to have something tangible and nice to have.

(As for c&p and resources.. I think Rich got that covered pretty good with the examples and what's missing there can be found in the user-tutorials linked here in the forum - maybe I will be surprised what the e-book can add to that, it's just my feeling right now.)

Hm, I was just rather set on the idea that I would get to buy a "real" book, to put on my nightstand that I can pick up and thumb through a little.

Just to have something tangible and nice to have.

I understand your concern because I'm a big fan of physical books too. But in this case I think it really make sense to do an ebook:
- The book is ready a lot faster (no need for printing and shipping)
- It's easier to make updates to the book as Phaser evolves
- It's easy to copy/past some code to directly test it

Really looking forward to buy this book. Sounds really nice. I would also like to hear if there is already a planned time frame for release.

In about a month probably, we will keep everybody updated when we have a definitive release date :-)