dragon dash

mentuat

my first html5 game!

http://happylandergames.com/games/dragondash/

apologies for making the same kind of game that everyone seems to do first - an endless avoid-things-and-stay-in-the-air type game, but I needed to keep it simple so I could get to grips with javascript!

It's designed for mobile devices so any feedback on performance would be mighty handy - thanks!

dragondash1.jpgdragondash2.jpgdragondash3.jpg

apologies for making the same kind of game that everyone seems to do first - an endless avoid-things-and-stay-in-the-air type game, but I needed to keep it simple so I could get to grips with javascript!

Ha! My favorite type of game :D

Very nice game, I don't even know what I could criticize about it ;)

thanks for the great feedback guys!

Theese are the most interesting games! Workst great on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 under Chrome, Sound Is broken. Firefox is a bit slower, no sound. *****

when you say sound is broken - do mean it is simply not playing or some kind of weird audio effect? (I disable sound on android or browsers with no web audio as performance seems to be too unpredictable at the moment)

it doesn't use an engine - I thought I should get to grips with how to handle user input, game logic and render all the bits and pieces of a game by myself first.

was a useful learning exercise in terms of figuring out which techniques are more effective for the job in hand.  I suspect I now have a little library of classes that can handle loading, rendering, animated sprites etc. that I hope to improve on as I make more games.

I did use howler.js to handle sound though as I didn't want to invest too much time figuring out that quite yet! http://goldfirestudios.com/blog/104/howler.js-Modern-Web-Audio-Javascript-Library

I'm also using typescript in visual studio which makes life a lot easier!

yes, but unfortunately only a few replied and the income I could make is very low

I'd love to earn a living wage by just making and licensing html5 games but i suspect it's not going to be possible

I plan to make at least a couple more games and reach out to publishers in an effort to make it viable

Hey,

Great game! And definitely impressive that you wrote it from scratch with no game engine.

That's too bad about the licensing...you could make a "build" for iPhone, Android, etc. Maybe that could supplement income made from licensing?

Anyways, awesome stuff!

I dont think that will be any viable. You wont make any revenue from these platforms from simple games like this. And since he ddidnt used any engine he would have to rewrite from scratch for those platforms.

One more question... did you make the art yourself or find/hire an artist?

yes, did it myself

dont think that will be any viable. You wont make any revenue from these platforms from simple games like this. And since he ddidnt used any engine he would have to rewrite from scratch for those platforms.

it's all javascript and CSS at the end of the day like all the current frameworks and engines so no - I would not have to rewrite it.

But I agree that the game is too simple to bother the app store

• 8 months later...