Advices needed for starting a 2d game

Ptitclem

Hello everybody,

I am new on this forum, but I think I'll stay around a while :)

Short presentation:

I am a French developer, fond of games like everybody here I guess, and I just started the html5 adventure.

I have some background in oo coding (java, c++), I like clean, reusable code with a good ratio between performance and clarity.

I want to make a cross-platform 2D game, html5 games feel right to me but I feel overwhelmed by this new world.

Too much information, too much choices to make, not enough time, help :o .

My project:

Make a cross-platform 2D game. I will start by a top-view-world-exploration-type-of-game.

At start I will make it really simple with no animations. Then I'll add layers of complexity, game logic (a lot), and at last (but not least) online multi-player capabilities.

My need:

Your feeling about what environment I should use.

What I already did:

I read the "Learning to write javascript post". Really helpful.

I already tested few things. First I do not really like every aspect of the javascript language, it feel like I'm trying to build a bridge with bamboos and duct tape.

I am potentially interested by Typescript but that's just a feeling.

I used Cocos2d HTML5. It's OK to use, but I am not 100% satisfied.

I just tried Pixi.js and I like the really simple syntax. But it is really new (maturity ?) and I feel that I'll need more tools.

I got a glimpse of Turbulenz. Seems amazing, but maybe overkill for what I need. That said, if the performances are OK and the syntax simple I'm not against it.

Don't hesitate to ask more precisions.

Thank you for your answers. :)

Clément

Salut Clément.

The main problem when starting a "big" project with Javascript is the strange way it handles objects. Unlike Java or C++, there are no classes, unless you add some mechanisms, or use a superset like TypeScript or Dart. That's the thing I miss most from classic OO languages.

Anyway, I never use any framework or libraries (except for the sound), so I must say that it's entirely possible to make games by yourself, without learning how to use one. Of course, this takes a bit of courage, but it's not such a difficult task.

So, if you're wondering about what options you should consider concerning libraries/frameworks, not using any is an option too, imho.

I'm sure the other guys will tell you the advantages of using one, so you should be able to choose ;)

Quick answer, Thanks! (Je pourrais parler en français mais on va rester international :) )

I've read an article telling that OO in javascript makes a slower code.

Anyway, I will use OO for the game logic as I feel more comfortable with it. That could be one good reason to use Typescript.

I know I could start an engine from scratch, and I wish I could have more time to code my game but that's unfortunately not the case. As a beginner I will also do too many mistakes and have crappy performances.

That's why I'd prefer a game engine, but I don't know enough to pick one among others.

I agree with the article. OO is to make objects, and that why I'll use it.

Rezoner explains a meta strategy that is well suited for projects larger than a weekend full of coding:

Thanks for the links.

So no one uses engines here?