Ghosts'n Goblins made with Phaser

Baron Karza

Hello there,

First of all let me say that I really love Phaser!

It makes me able to do things that I would never have imagined!

In fact I began to test it by moving the camera over some backdrops... then I added the main sprite... then I made him, walk, jump, fire.... then I added the graves... then I added ladders... then I added the zombies... then the crowes... then the moving platform... then the ending sequence.... then the intro sequence... then the carnivorous plant... then the attract screen....

Damn it was all so easy and although the final code of the game is not well... uhm clear I think I've learnt a lot and I think my next demo will be far far better! (btw I made the source code downloadable so if you want you can have a look at it).

For sure I made some mistakes and maybe some things would have been better made in another way but I really enjoyed in programming it!

Obviously I have a ton of questions but I wait another time to post them!

Meanwhile I hope you enjoy my little webapp that is a tribute to a game that I loved so much in my youth (and spent so much coins on it).

Have fun (and thanks again for making Phaser!)

Here it is the link:

http://www.int33h.com/test/gng/

post-9056-0-03510300-1402757691.png

Very very nice :) Although damn it's hard! I'm sure in the original you had more than 1 life? I need to download your source so I can hack in a cheat mode :)

How much of the game did you re-create? (I didn't get past the first level!)

It's really pretty.

The refresh when the game is over is a bit more and loading the menu state on click would be far better.

I didn't pass the 1 level... but i'll try it later again after England win over Italy. :P

It's really pretty.

The refresh when the game is over is a bit more and loading the menu state on click would be far better.

I didn't pass the 1 level... but i'll try it later again after England win over Italy. :P

Also England didn't pass level 1 ^_^

Very very nice :) Although damn it's hard! I'm sure in the original you had more than 1 life? I need to download your source so I can hack in a cheat mode :)

How much of the game did you re-create? (I didn't get past the first level!)

I recreated just the first half-level because I started it just as a test.

To hack the game just open MainApp.js

then decomment

//DEBUG_NO_ZOMBIE = true

//DEBUG_NO_CROW = true;

You still have to avoid the bullets fired from the carnivorous plants.

However the game ends just after the first moving platform, and it is an happy ending ^_^

Thanks again for making such a great framework!

wow nice, how did you get it to look identical to the 1985 original?

I grab the graphics from MAME.

I launch the game then I press F4 that shows the palette of the game: if you then press Enter you'll cicyle through palette and "spritesheets" (by pressing "+" you can cycle also between the spritesheets).

Obviously the spritesheet are not other than a collection of tiles that you have to put together but at least you have the original graphics.

In the case of Ghosts'n Goblins the work was a bit more difficult because in some case I had to partially add a "glow" to the main sprite.

Instead about the backgrounds I had them since uhm... 10-12 years, when I tried to make the same game on Macromedia Director (Also then I grabbed them from the original game by taking screenshots and then removing zombies, crowes and so on).

In all cases it's an hard work :-)

I spent more time grabbing the graphics than programming the game!

• 2 weeks later...

Also Italy now didn't pass level 1.

What a shame for both of us.

What a lost of time.

Instead of looking at that stupid match I should have studied Phaser.