How to move the sprite to the top?

moszis

Hi Guys,

Is there a way to specify that sprite should go on top (similar to the way its done in phaser)?   I need to have multiple draggable sprites.   Currently the last one drawn is always on top.  So when you are dragging sprites, they will be dragged under the sprites that have been drawn later.

I know it can be easily done by just clearing and redrawing the sprite every tick but it would make it much easier if there was an API to bring it to top layer on mousedown.

PS:  I know its two dimensional pixel grid(this seems to be common answer to these type of questions).. just talking about APIs here.

An alternative form.. without prototyping

function bringToFront(sprite, parent) {var sprite = (typeof(sprite) != "undefined") ? sprite.target || sprite : this;var parent = parent || sprite.parent || {"children": false};if (parent.children) {    for (var keyIndex in sprite.parent.children) {         if (sprite.parent.children[keyIndex] === sprite) {            sprite.parent.children.splice(keyIndex, 1);            break;        }    }    parent.children.push(sprite);}}
function sendToBack(sprite, parent) {var sprite = (typeof(sprite) != "undefined") ? sprite.target || sprite : this;var parent = parent || sprite.parent || {"children": false};if (parent.children) {    for (var keyIndex in sprite.parent.children) {          if (sprite.parent.children[keyIndex] === sprite) {            sprite.parent.children.splice(keyIndex, 1);            break;        }    }    parent.children.splice(0,0,sprite);    }}

uses..

mySprite.mousedown = bringToFrontbringToFront(mySprite);bringToFront(mySprite, newDisplayObjectContainer); //pops it out of its original container/parent

and of course..

mySprite.bringToFront = bringToFront;mySprite.bringToFront();mySprite.bringToFront(null, newDisplayObjectContainer);

EDIT: opps... I was using pop incorrectly.. it doesn't take a parameter, so I am using a cross browser legacy compatible implementation. Reference: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5767325/remove-specific-element-from-an-array/15762329#15762329 

Edited by mrBRC

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I've just stored the zIndex on each of the display objects and then when you want to move the display objects to the top you just find the highest zIndex, add 1 and set the zDepth on the display objects to that. Works well and pretty straight forward.  You need to put the display objects in a container and set that as sortable too.

Edited by Dougi