Searching for the right framework/engine/...

bwsemg

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to the gaming industry and am in need of a solution and I’m wondering if you could guide me through, please?

I want to launch a website where people can play games on on both desktop browser and mobile browser. Since I would like to launch more games in the future and “lock” some out, I need some kind of parent-child relation in the application so that only the “unlocked” game can be played.

Basically when the user accesses the website I need the parent “app" to go check in the database which game (1 game) can be played (locked/unlocked by me) and then load the game in dynamically.

Other features I need are

- JSON calls (or any type of calls) to GET/PUT in the database (to show data coming from DB)

- Facebook integrations (FB login, FB share, …)

- Game engine (such as gravity, events, … )

- UI layer where my player data will come from DB (if available) or can I solve this with "plain" HTML/CSS and PHP calls in the app?

- Dynamic asset/sprite loading

- possibility to design responsive (desktop/tablet/smartphone, …)

I've been browsing around (a lot) and cannot seem to find a decent fit. Any suggestions would be heavily appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Sem

I wouldn't include JSON, Facebook or even a UI layer as part of your requirements for a game framework:

1) JSON is native to JavaScript anyway, but DB calls are not the responsibility of a game framework, which is 100% client side, but of the web stack.

2) The Facebook API is ever changing (literally) but interfacing with it from JS is just a simple matter of of calling their API as needed, again I don't think this is the job of a game framework, but of the web site itself.

3) UI Layer - this has more arguments, but honestly you're building in a web browser - you've the whole of CSS/Forms at your disposal, so use them :) Most frameworks will provide for Text handling and some will offer simple Buttons and maybe a few other UI elements like a checkbox, but still I would say use the browser where requirements are more advanced than this.

The rest of your requirements I agree should be covered, or are the sort of things you need to deal with in your own code, because they are game specific (responsiveness for example).

Hi rich,

Thank you so much for your quick answer.

So if I understand correctly, I need to find a game framework that can communicate with the "web browser" itself in both directions.

For example:

1/ user logs in with Facebook so I authenticate him with a JS API call to FB

2/ DB call with AJAX or some kind to get the player's info (rank, points, credits, ...) and the game I have set active

3/ present that data to him with pure HTML/CSS/PHP/... but not IN the game but in a seperate div

4/ game framework receives response and loads the game logic that I want (game A or game B, the one I've "unlocked" in db)

4/ user clicks "play game" inside the game and scores,  for example, 10 points

5/ those 10 points get posted to the db again through AJAX logic of the web browser (not the game)

Is that about right, you think or am I again mistaking the lifecycle?

1, 2 = Yes

3 = At this point you've lots of options. You could just create a single global JS object, put the data in there, then the game can read it directly, or pass it over in some other way - but essentially I'd still keep it all JS based. Remember a decent JS game framework will let you access anything present in the browser.

Sorry worth adding - it's perfectly sensible for you to call the FB login stuff from your game, it's just a JS API call after all - lots of games have "login with facebook" buttons on their title pages for example. All I'm saying is that when the player clicks this, you just make a direct FB API call, rather than trying to find a game framework that hides this bit from you.