Polycraft - Wonderstruck Games' first HTML5 Game.

ajlangridge

Hi guys,

I'm Adam, programmer at Wonderstruck Games.

A year ago I left Lionhead to see what was possible if you combine AAA development tricks with new web game technology, and this morning our first answer, Polycraft, has left closed-beta and is now live for everyone to play:

Play Polycraft at polycraftgame.com

Polycraft combines 3D character action and tower defence strategy. Washed up on the beach of a mysterious island and rescued by a small, odd looking creature called a Wildling, your Hero is tasked with building a new life and defending it from the ferocious Ferals that seek to destroy it.

We're a team of former Lionhead, Sony and EA developers and we had a great time applying our AAA background to a brand new platform and learning about (to us) new technologies like HTML5 and WebGL.

Let us know what you think!

post-4160-0-53544200-1372066868_thumb.jp

post-4160-0-42035300-1372066873.jpg

had a very quick play - looks lovely and the tutorial was bubbling along nicely helping me get to grips with the controls etc.

the thing that stuck out immediately was the requirement to install a plugin - was this just because I am using safari or does this happen when using any browser?  If so (and given this is a desktop game) why use html5 technologies?

I get amazed every time with 3d games made in html5! Good job, of course I don't see how 2 persons can reproduce this game in a year! How big is your development team?

@mentuat I did get the plugin popup in safari but not in firefox, then again I was fiddling with Turbulenz ever since it went open source, I might have downloaded it before *confused

had a very quick play - looks lovely and the tutorial was bubbling along nicely helping me get to grips with the controls etc.

the thing that stuck out immediately was the requirement to install a plugin - was this just because I am using safari or does this happen when using any browser?  If so (and given this is a desktop game) why use html5 technologies?

Thanks so much! The plugin is required for some browsers, I recommend chrome for performance and no need for plugin too!

I get amazed every time with 3d games made in html5! Good job, of course I don't see how 2 persons can reproduce this game in a year! How big is your development team?

@mentuat I did get the plugin popup in safari but not in firefox, then again I was fiddling with Turbulenz ever since it went open source, I might have downloaded it before *confused

The hands on team is six strong, but we also have a producer and tester!

Only I have no idea what AAA stands for? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AAA

Maybe Asian Athletics Association

He means "Triple A" game titles, it is a commonly used expression when talking about large-scale games done by the leaders of the industry (not indie games). Games done by companies such as Valve, Blizzard, Activision, etc are generally considered AAA Titles.