js13kGames competition 2014

end3r

Is it against the spirit of the rules to write a tiny game framework and release it to the community before everything takes off?

Up to end3r, but that seems to fit with this in the rules: "If you manage to shrink your favorite library below 13 kilobytes including the code itself, then you can use whatever you want, just remember about the 13 kB limit."

Just like uglify or closure compiler is a tool to help us with reaching the 13kb limit, yours would serve a toolset purpose as well.

I'd be happy too if there was a server category again, I really enjoyed that part of the development last year.

I am planning to create a multiplayer RTS game for this year, I am working on a really size-optimized library/framework for this purpose and of course this will be (is already, actually) shared on github as well.

Yes, it gives you some extra points.

It's only one of the few factors though. If there are two games with similar rating the one with the theme implemented will be higher, but if there's a way better game without the theme it will still get more overall points than the average one with it.

The most important thing is to impress the judges with what you can do in 13 kilobytes.

I too would love to see server again this year. Last year my team entered a game into the server category, however it was a complete flop. This time around we are much more organised and many lessons learned from last time.

If an entry was submitted this year meeting last year's specs (13k backend + 13k front end) as a server game would it be considered?

I'm all for server games being allowed (I wouldn't make one, but I love that others can). However, one issue I noticed personally last year was that even if the server game was working, there just wasn't enough traffic and I didn't have anyone to play with. It might be cool if there were set meet up times where people would play together. I don't know how it would work best, but I want to play with people, and there was no way to coordinate that in the previous years. What do you guys think is a good solution for this?

Good point, jackrugile.

I think a simple website listing games and public game sessions to join would be an option. The website, using a node.js backend, could poll the registered URLs in i.e. every 10 seconds for available sessions and then list them in a simple format.

I believe - although I have not made the handling of this kind of requests yet - on the game server side this would require a minimal overhead and if the "game lobby" would made these requests not the players that would not make significant load for the game (although as the sources will be all available online so one can request this list for theirselves with minimal effort, but this information will be already public (seen in the "game lobby") and also overloading a game server with legitimate client connections was still possible).

I too would love to see server again this year. Last year my team entered a game into the server category, however it was a complete flop. This time around we are much more organised and many lessons learned from last time.

Aurium and ooflorent are working on the sandbox server to bring back the Server category, so with their help it should be there also this year.

As for the lobby or somethiing similar to connect the potential players - I think it's a great idea, though implementing it would also require their help (or anyone else) as I totally suck at node.js.

I have another question: what's the judges position regarding clones?

I'm not planning to make one, but lately there have been so many clones of popular native games, and I don't like the idea of making a clone for a contest, in which I consider originality to be more important.

I have another question: what's the judges position regarding clones?

I'm not planning to make one, but lately there have been so many clones of popular native games, and I don't like the idea of making a clone for a contest, in which I consider originality to be more important.

It's encouraged to create original games, but if somebody came up with an excellent clone which will outrun the competition with great execution, then it will win. When you compare two similar games and one is a clone, the other will get more points. If the clone is way better than the original game, the clone will get more points. It really depends on the games and will be judged case by case.

It's encouraged to create original games, but if somebody came up with an excellent clone which will outrun the competition with great execution, then it will win. When you compare two similar games and one is a clone, the other will get more points. If the clone is way better than the original game, the clone will get more points. It really depends on the games and will be judged case by case.

Good to hear, thank you :)

Next batch of updates.

Prizes:
- 1 × Proto.io Startup account
- Advertisement on Clay.io
- 2 × Kendo UI Professional
- The Few game (for every participant)
- McPixel game (for every participant)

Judges:
- Robert Podgórski

Sponsors:
- Mozilla