Space Pixel Rambo

Nambiar

Here's the latest from Game Dolphin - Space Pixel Rambo. Its a simple mouse controlled shoot-em up. It was originally designed for mobile gameplay but I got carried away with the particle generator and hence the fps on phones (even with Cocoon) is a measly 25fps.

It may just be my code and I may go back, clean it up and try again. Till then you can enjoy the desktop version, though maybe with a tad uncomfortable mouse controls. :P

post-6320-0-07673900-1405108280.png

You can play the game here - http://gamedolph.in/sample-page/space-pixel-rambo-shoot-em-up/

Great little game! But as you wrote, would be cool to get it working on mobile (chrome on my iphone crashes).

At first I'm a little confused by the who is the enemy and who is not. You can shoot and destroy upgrades or you can pick them up. But why can you destroy them?

And you can destroy the enemies, but not the square ones, the bullets just pass through them? Why is that? A little confusing at first.

Maybe those issues aren't a big deal but what is more confusing is that when you collide with an object, there's a little overlap before it kills you. It made me think that it wasn't an enemy at first, but when I got closer I was destroyed.

Maybe the shake-effect when an enemy is destroyed could be used on only certain enemies, it's just very chaotic right now (which is cool in a way).

You have probably spent some time and effort on this game, so I suggest you make a light version for mobiles. I would love to try that!

Well done!

Great little game! But as you wrote, would be cool to get it working on mobile (chrome on my iphone crashes).

At first I'm a little confused by the who is the enemy and who is not. You can shoot and destroy upgrades or you can pick them up. But why can you destroy them?

And you can destroy the enemies, but not the square ones, the bullets just pass through them? Why is that? A little confusing at first.

Maybe those issues aren't a big deal but what is more confusing is that when you collide with an object, there's a little overlap before it kills you. It made me think that it wasn't an enemy at first, but when I got closer I was destroyed.

Maybe the shake-effect when an enemy is destroyed could be used on only certain enemies, it's just very chaotic right now (which is cool in a way).

You have probably spent some time and effort on this game, so I suggest you make a light version for mobiles. I would love to try that!

Well done!

Thank you for your comments!

About the confusion about the enemies, the tutorial is supposed to be 'ON' when the game is played the first time. It lists the enemy types and power-ups. But all of this info is dumped on the player very quickly... maybe I should put in a mandatory info-graphic detailing the enemies and everything. 

I actually use the arcade.overlap function to check for collisions. Hence the little overlap before it triggers any events. Also, the ship's hitbox is smaller than the sprite to give the player an advantage in close situations.

The destructible power-ups were intentional, forcing the player to not use auto-fire all the time. 

I actually blitzed through building the game and hence the clutter (and maybe, imperfections) in the code. I'll probably publish it to Android though - 25 fps isn't too bad with so many particles :P

There was a resolution issue on mobile browsers but it should be fixed now. 

For anyone still confused (till I add the infographic) - Use your mouse to move the ship. If mouse is anywhere on the ship (no clicking required), it will start firing. Four types of enemies, one of them invincible. 12 types of guns, attained through destructible power-ups, meaning if you fire at them, they will get destroyed when the 10th bullet hits them. Sound and music toggle are part of the pause menu (if you haven't found them already).