The Phaser 3 Wishlist Thread :)

rich

Once it's fully supported by the wast majority of browsers , I'd like to see something like this in action .

OffscreenCanvas -  "A new interface that allows canvas rendering contexts (2D and WebGL) to be used in workers. Making canvas rendering contexts available to workers will increase parallelism in web applications, leading to increased performance on multi-core systems."

Hello guys :) 

I am not sure if it is already mentioned, but I'd love to see integrated Scale 9 (9 patch) images support. Like the one in Starling framework :) There is a plugin like that, but it is not perfected. It is really useful for multi-resolution UI construction using small assets. I can try and translate the one from Starling if necessary.

Wiki.

I am fairly new to Phaser and I explore the framework by studying examples, by purchasing and reading Phaser books and by reading posts on the Phaser forum. One thing where the Phaser framework needs to be improved is documentation. I do not mean the API documentation, I mean a Wiki system, where we could all contribute and improve the content as a community. I like the Phaser 2 examples structure -- we could extend the structure horizontally and vertically (for example Phaser states), adding examples, referencing good practice, providing source code excerpts, etc. There are lots of good features hidden and buried in the Phaser forum, and we should work on an integrated model with a steep learning curve to be more productive. My two cents...

19 hours ago, jjcale said:

Wiki.

I am fairly new to Phaser and I explore the framework by studying examples, by purchasing and reading Phaser books and by reading posts on the Phaser forum. One thing where the Phaser framework needs to be improved is documentation. I do not mean the API documentation, I mean a Wiki system, where we could all contribute and improve the content as a community. I like the Phaser 2 examples structure -- we could extend the structure horizontally and vertically (for example Phaser states), adding examples, referencing good practice, providing source code excerpts, etc. There are lots of good features hidden and buried in the Phaser forum, and we should work on an integrated model with a steep learning curve to be more productive. My two cents...

Definitly agree with this, as someone that has been learning Javascript along with phase;  the information is there, it's just spread everywhere between the forums, the git, and the examples ... etc, some of which are broken and outdated. And there's nothing on the best practices of phaser. Collecting all the info into one, easibly navigatable and well built wiki would be really gamechanger.

I think the wiki is something that can be maintained by the community, and we let the phaser devs to concentrate on phaser development.

Fortunately there are a lot of tutorials that help to start and the phaser devs are very reachable on the social channels.

What I miss is the Interphase magazine, I think an Interphase issue to welcome Phaser v3 when it is ready will be great.

On 3/22/2017 at 1:57 PM, Arian Fornaris said:

I think the wiki is something that can be maintained by the community, and we let the phaser devs to concentrate on phaser development.

Fortunately there are a lot of tutorials that help to start and the phaser devs are very reachable on the social channels.

What I miss is the Interphase magazine, I think an Interphase issue to welcome Phaser v3 when it is ready will be great.

Arian, yes, that's clear, devs would focus on phaser development, no question about it. The point is about the Phaser ecosystem, where we lack a structured and community-oriented wiki. The tutorials are good to start.

just checked out the isometeric sample, just wanted to thank you for adding this, the 3d samples really surprised me,

not sure if it has been mentioned but scaling the isometric world would be nice, which I'm sure can be done either way.

I was waiting to see if a new isometric format was going to be added and am extremely pleased so far from what I seen.

A wiki would be nice also as mentioned, I agree with you Arian to be maintained by the community to leave the developers alone for developing, plus more ideas would probably be added if maintained by the community.

• 1 month later...

Just wondering as an aside (and apologies if this was already asked & answered), but what is the expected difficulty curve between updating code from Phaser 2 to Phaser 3? I appreciate v3 is a WIP, but are there likely to be many gotchas but otherwise a fairly simple transition? Or will it be something similar to the angular framework where there was a wholesale top-to-bottom change between version 1 & 2+. If not done already it might be worth an article from the Phaser team themselves.

I have a few WIP projects and part of me thinks it might be worth waiting until Phaser 3 arrives, as I'm worried I may have to refactor large chunks of my code...

First of all, anyone currently working on a game in v2 should absolutely finish it, rather than wait for v3. We're not far off a first public beta but are still several months away from a release candidate. Secondly, the API between 3 and 2 is very similar indeed. There are lots of subtle changes (and some significant ones too) but on the whole, the way you have been doing it so far, will continue to be the same in v3. Code from v2 will not just work immediately in v3 but we're not talking massive changes either to port it (depending on how complex it is, and what features it uses)

Thanks @rich for clarifying those two things. I did presume V3 was probably still a fair bit in the future, but I was very curious / anxious that the versioning would be a major revision to the framework's structure. Good to hear that eventually not too much will require refactoring :-D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2016 at 9:55 AM, gludion said:

Hello, 

Based on a recent (but quite surprising) miss discovery in PIXI.js, I would like to emphasize 2 important features:

• First, something like this:

transform.setMatrix(a,b,c,d,tx,ty)

Which allow precise transform, and should be faster than setting position, scale, rotation, skew since those values end up computed into a matrix. 

• And the idea that skew property should be unaffected by a non-homogeneous scale. In PIXI.js setting both skew and scale lead to a wrong behavior (more detailed information can be found here: https://github.com/pixijs/pixi.js/issues/3163 ). Apparently it's a classical mistake (they also did it in Cocos2d-js). Having a "correct" skew+scale order of matrix operation should normally make it easier for third part tools (like Flump, flash, ..) to export skew data to Lazer, and for developers who want to performs a deformation in a precise and controlled way (ex: fit to a triangle) if the above transform.setMatrix(..) is not available.

1. This is something that is really necessary. I am parsing animations from Adobe Flash and I am getting the exact matrix data. When I attempt to calculate from the matrix, the skew, scale and rotation would be slightly off compared to using the exact matrix. It would be preferred to be able to input a whole matrix transformation.

2. Adobe Animate CC added the ability to export to a Texture Atlas. This produces a JSON that describes the animation in addition to a spritesheet and texture atlas. I attached the example from the blog post. They created a Unity script to read the JSON but it would be good to have something in Phaser that does the same thing.  

http://blogs.adobe.com/contentcorner/2017/07/03/create-a-texture-atlas-with-animate-cc-for-your-favorite-game-engines/

Joker.zip

• 3 weeks later...
  • rich unpinned this topic