The Wizard - Turn-Based Dungeon Puzzler (Release July 23rd) [Phaser]

hackenstein

Hey there, guys and gals!

I'm Jan of Hypnotic Owl and I'm proud to announce July 23rd as the release date for our first bigger project, The Wizard!

header.png

The Wizard is a quirky, turn-based dungeon puzzler with an unique spell casting system, lovely 16bit-look and high-quality soundtrack. You play as the exceptionally handsome but uneducated wizard Kevin, whose good looks have just been stolen. The pursuit of the mysterious thief leads you down to the dangerous dungeons underneath the wizard academy. There you'll encounter mythical monsters, discover powerful spell gestures and improve your newfound abilities with the experience you gain to catch the thief and reclaim your beautiful face.

The game was developed using the Phaser framework and runs on PC, tablets and mobile devices using an up-to-date browser, preferably Chrome. Upon release, the game will be playable for free on our website. If we see enough interest for the game we plan to develop a sequel featuring a new story and roguelike-mode!

Until then you can find more informations about the game, the development and a trailer on our website:

Game page & Trailer

Blog Post: The Birth of The Wizard

Blog Post: The Design of The Wizard Part 1: Walking

Blog Post: The Design of The Wizard Part 2: Spellcasting

And here some more screenshots:

Screenshot%201.png

Screenshot%202.png

Screenshot%205.png

Screenshot%208.png

Cheers!

very lovely game and graphics! i played it on gamebrokerage for a while :)

dont nonexclusive licenses for that game sell like hotcake?

Unfortunately, no. At least not yet. It seems like the game is too expensive for an unusual game, so publisher might be too afraid to take the risk. We've just added the game to the FGL Game Shop and switched to non-exclusives on Game Brokerage, today, so maybe this will change now.

As great a game as it is, you'll struggle to get that much from any games portals (on a non-exec basis) - it's just not how they operate. But then I don't think that was your plan from the start anyway? If it was, you've built the wrong sort of game :) To me this always felt like making a return on either adds, iAPs somehow or direct sales to players via a store of some kind.

As great a game as it is, you'll struggle to get that much from any games portals (on a non-exec basis) - it's just not how they operate. But then I don't think that was your plan from the start anyway? If it was, you've built the wrong sort of game :) To me this always felt like making a return on either adds, iAPs somehow or direct sales to players via a store of some kind.

Yeah, we planned to win the Tizen Challenge at first and when that didn't work out we looked for alternatives to earn money with it. We tried to find a sponsor or publisher for a while, but didn't get an offer that made us happy. However when we decided to sell non-exclusives, we did expect to make some money with it. Maybe we'll have to decrease the price after all :wacko:

Really cool game, the sound is great, congrats! ! How much time to develope? 

Thanks! We had a sound designer to help us with the sound effects ;)

All in all I think it took us about 4 months, but there were a couple of breaks, so it's hard to say.

Kickass game, I really enjoy playing it!  Your team did a great job. 

The market is really gravitating towards casual games vs a dungeon crawler, at least on GB from what I'm seeing.  For non-ex licenses $500-$1000 is common, and prefer to reduce the price / game by any means (usually bundling several games together from 1 developer).  The larger [midcore] publishers are looking at these types of games for native release, so perhaps there's room for you to wrap this html5 game and find a publisher there.

How are the stats so far?  Do you have tracking / goals setup to analyze when users drop out?  I'm curious to see what % get to 25%, 50% and complete the game!  This data would be a good indication for potential sponsors.

• 2 weeks later...

The market is really gravitating towards casual games vs a dungeon crawler, at least on GB from what I'm seeing.  For non-ex licenses $500-$1000 is common, and prefer to reduce the price / game by any means (usually bundling several games together from 1 developer).  The larger [midcore] publishers are looking at these types of games for native release, so perhaps there's room for you to wrap this html5 game and find a publisher there.

Yeah, it sure feels that way. I've uploaded the game to Newgrounds and will upload it to Kongregate shortly. Then I will reduce the price to $1000 and see if something changes.

We spoke to one (midcore) publisher, who was very interested and offered us a 50/50 deal, claiming this was an exceptional good deal and we should accept it right then and there. I lack the business experience to judge if this was actually a good deal, but being pressured like that, I knew I didn't want to work with them, no matter how good the deal.

How are the stats so far?  Do you have tracking / goals setup to analyze when users drop out?  I'm curious to see what % get to 25%, 50% and complete the game!  This data would be a good indication for potential sponsors.

Since launch we've gotten so much data it actually overexerted our self build analytics implementation. We're working on fixing it, so we can analyse exactly that :)

• 4 months later...

I had a lot of fun playing! I'm just starting to work with Phaser and have been looking for examples that used a turn-based tile system like this. So your game was also very reassuring to me :) If you don't mind, would you be willing to share which libraries you used? I saw you mentioned Tiled Map Editor on your blog, but was that it? I'm still trying to learn and would love to try to recreate your movement system.

Thanks!