Emitter burst of particles in form of a circle

BdR

Is it possible to emit a burst of particles in form of a circle using the Emitter class? By default the emitter object emits particles with random x and y speeds, but what I want to do is manipulate the x/y speeds so the particles in each burst form a circle.

What I've tried is making a for-loop, setting the speeds using emitter.setXspeed and setYspeed each time, and then adding one individual particle. It creates the particles alright, but they don't move for some reason. :huh:

I've taken this burst particle example as a starting point, and changed it. See github or code below.
function particleBurst_circle(pointer) {    //  Position the emitter where the mouse/touch event was    emitter.x = pointer.x;    emitter.y = pointer.y;    var EXPLODE_DIAMETER = 80.0;    // emit a circle of particles, 360 / 18 = 20 particles    for (var i = 0; i < 360; i=i+18) {        // set fixed x speed        var xsp = Math.cos(2 * Math.PI * i / 360.0) * EXPLODE_DIAMETER;        emitter.setXSpeed(xsp, xsp);        // set fixed y speed        var ysp = Math.sin(2 * Math.PI * i / 360.0) * EXPLODE_DIAMETER;        emitter.setYSpeed(ysp, ysp);        // TODO: how to emit one single particle?        // next line doesn't work, only emits one(?) moving particle        //emitter.start(true, 2000, null, 1);        // next line add particles, but not moving        var star = emitter.create(pointer.x+xsp, pointer.y+ysp, 'particles', null, true);    }}

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Okay, nice :) that works, thanks.

Although, it now adds particles taking a random sprite from the 6 available particle sprites. I'd still like to have more control over the individual particles, for example if you want to alternate 2 colors. So one burs of alternating blue/green particles and the next yellow/red particles or something like that. Is it possible to do it the other way, by adding particles like so:

var star = emitter.create(pointer.x, pointer.y, 'particles', null, true);
star.frame = (i % 4); // alternate blue/green
// but it still won't move..

You may be getting into 'roll your own' territory there.

The Phaser emitter isn't a complete suite of particle options.

What it is, is an extension of the Phaser.Group.

The create function comes from there, so you are not creating a particle, but just a sprite.

The makeParticles function of the emitter does a little more than just creating a sprite, but you should only do that once.

I had to do something similar once. Different end result, but I had to force frames on individual particles.

I ended up just adding a variable onto the emitter to tell it what frame I wanted the next particle to be, and altered the emitParticle function to use that frame instead of a random one.

particles/arcade/Emitter.js

if (Array.isArray(this._frames === 'object'))    {        // See if we set the custom frame variable here        if ( this.customFrame != null )        {                particle.frame = this.customFrame;        }        else        {                particle.frame = this.game.rnd.pick(this._frames);        }    }    else    {        particle.frame = this._frames;    }

EDITED: Sorry, I didn´t see the makeParticles line, it works that way :)

Hi guys, I was trying exactly the same and I´m having the same problem, the particles are not moving, did you fix this? I don´t know what to do with that. I create de circle of particles but they´re not moving :(

This is my code:

var emitter = this.game.add.emitter();        var EXPLODE_DIAMETER = 40.0;        emitter.x = this.ball.x;        emitter.y = this.ball.y;        for (var i = 0; i < 360; i=i+36) {            var xsp = Math.cos(2 * Math.PI * i / 360.0) * EXPLODE_DIAMETER;            emitter.setXSpeed(xsp, xsp);            var ysp = Math.sin(2 * Math.PI * i / 360.0) * EXPLODE_DIAMETER;            emitter.setYSpeed(ysp, ysp);            emitter.start(true, 2000, null, 1);            var star = emitter.create(this.ball.x+xsp - EXPLODE_DIAMETER, this.ball.y+ysp - EXPLODE_DIAMETER, 'stars', null, true);            emitter.update();        }

• 3 months later...