1st HTML5 game contest at FightMagicRun starts July 19th!

Evan Burchard

Hi Everybody,

You're invited to the first FiMaRu HTML5 game-making contest, kicking off on July 19th.  Whether you want an excuse to try out a new game idea or framework, or just feel like showing off your skills, it should be a good time.  The winning game gets $100, so it's kind of like a game jam and a poker night got together and made a baby.  You can register here.

If you have any questions, or would like to suggest a theme, feel free to hit reply and let me know!

100 too low, but i want to compeet ;)

$100 is low indeed, but it also doesn't mean the same thing to everyone.  Winning a challenge like this can give some people confidence in a new direction.  For others, it's the same as winnings in a poker night with friends.  If it repels people who have more fun in bigger commercial contests, that's alright.  Looking forward to seeing your entry! :D  

What are the rules?  Did I miss them somewhere?

Of course!  The rules are on the blog

Of course!  You can definitely use your own framework, or any of the other awesome open source engines out there.  The idea is that what you do is made "from scratch," but of course, everyone is going to benefit from tools, languages, and packages that they can't build in a weekend.  It's less of an issue of building from scratch, and more just about everyone starting at the beginning so that they have the same chance of winning. 

I guess one way of looking at it is that if your framework is public/open source, then presumably others would have access to it, so you're totally good to go.  If not, then it's a little more ambiguous, and since we're just getting started, everyone gets to define the community norms to an extent.  Reusing patterns that are well understood and implemented by others in open source work would generally be considered cool, whereas a rogue Blizzard developer entering with "World of Warcraft 2" would be problematic for all kinds of reasons. 

I like your album by the way.  "Wait in line" has this almost bossa nova thing going on with a little Belle and Sebastien mixed in.  Looking forward to seeing (and hearing) your game if you decide to enter!

@True Valhalla: Sorry for the confusion.

@Rune: True True.  The contest starts tomorrow (Friday July 19th) from my perspective at 5PM Pacific Time.

In future contests, I might adopt a relative, timezone-dependent start time like global game jam does.

EDIT: I added a countdown timer so that it's clear world-wide when the battle starts ;)

I've come up with an idea. Not googled it to see if its been  done before, which it probably has. Considering my last simple game took me months I don't like my chances of finishing anything. But what the hell. I'm gonna do it.

The title is going to be "The Surface". Or maybe just "Surface".

Now to start my first ever attempt at drawing a human being in a game. This is going to be a day of a lot of firsts for me!

I'm giving beginner tips on the twitter account for people looking for inspiration/how to start.  Don't worry, it's not a blue shell.64px-BlueShell.png

Originality and perceivable effort still count.  I just want to make sure no one gets frustrated and gives up too early.

@Rapier34: With 38 hours to go, the wink emoji puts you in 1st place for trash talking so far.  Nice work :) 

I'm having a short break. I have to say I'm really enjoying this. I'm not in it to win it. The menu start screen example on the previous page alone would take me a week to get half as good. But I'm determined to finish something.

I think the tricky part is time management. Not knowing how long something is going to take me as I've still so little experience.