New game - Dino Hunt

IvanK

Hello,

I just have fulfilled my teenage dream, to make a 3D first person shooter :)

I do all the graphics using IvanK.js , so I didn't use any GLSL, buffers, uniforms, no low-level WebGL. I made the game in a week. It took me the whole day to make and debug ray shooting engine with accelerator for triangular meshes (KD-tree).

There is also a by-product, a library for parsing and editing 3D meshes. I have implemented OBJ, 3DS, Collada and MD2. E.g, you can load 3DS, rotate the model by 90 degrees and save it as OBJ in 3 lines of code. Or batch-process 1000 Collada files in a short for-loop.

I wanted it to be addictible and fun to play. So how do you like it? What should I change? Isn't it too hard or too easy?

BTW. I could not find any free animated 3D models of dinosaurs, so my models are static. If you have some animated models, let me know :)

http://dinohunt.ivank.net/

dino0.png

dino1.png

Please edit your post to add a screen shot (wow I wish I could make that a requirement for this part of the forum! :))

Well, I could create a sticky post with a posting guide, like I did in the collabs board - if you want to :)

Edit: sticky posted

looks ace - and congrats on fulfilling a teenage dream! (mine was Staci Keanan from 'my two dads' - but let's not get into that now)

I found the game wickedly hard - I could not shoot the dino enough times to kill it before it reached me - and some times I would get a good number of shots on target I thought!  How many shots are required?

Each dino has its life level. Raptor has 10. T-rex has 40. After you hit the dino, "damage" is subtracted from its life.

You begin with damage 3, so you must hit Raptor 4 times. I changed it the beginning value to 3.5, so you can hit it only 3 times.

BTW. hey, I know Staci from Step By Step :) But it was another kind of dream ... 

Hello,

thanks for your comments :) I have added mouse lock, do you think it is better now?

My code is multitouch-ready now :) I am planning to add multitouch in the future (joystick at bottom-left, turning around by dragging on the right half of the screen, Shoot and Jump buttons).

http://dinohunt.ivank.net

I have my models from http://tf3dm.com/ . I parse them from different formats using my library K3D.js and then save them as .BIV, which is my own format that I created for the purposes of my games :)

Movement is very slow on Firefox, while ok on Chromium, therefore I suspect that your code is very FPS-specific. Maybe you should fix this, it's pretty annoying to see the dinosaurs attack very fast while you move as fast as a one-legged dude on a bike.

Oh and mouse lock didn't fully work on Chromium, and wasn't even enabled in Firefox.

About the game itself, I'd suggest to make it more dynamic. Maybe make the dinosaurs stop for a second when you hit them.

Also, the radar doesn't cover enough terrain, I didn't find it very useful.

And one last suggestion: please support azerty keyboards. It doesn't require much code, but it's really annoying for us frenchies to play with that kind of setup. Imagine playing a game with ZQSD on a qwerty keyboard, that's really impossible to play.

Looking forward to trying the updates (if any) :)

I spend some time already on that game. I have to admit - I like it a lot.

Currently I am in Level 18 (btw, cool to see that you save the progress on the client side). 

Generally, I really do like games with such a shop system to boost certain properties of the gameplay.

Well done!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I slightly updated Dino Hunt: http://dinohunt.ivank.net

There was a bug in cursor / dinosaur collision test, now it works perfectly. I also removed alpha-depth-test, so trees look uglier, but GPU requirements are twice lower :)

The game should run fine in all browsers, I didn't make it any browser-specific. But mouse lock is currently in Chrome and Firefox only :(

I am in level 90. It is not interesting anymore :( Do you know how to make it more interesting?

Nice game, I play it now on chrome with mouse lock and it's really better than on opera without mouse lock ;)

Maybe you can make it more interesting with a fog in higher levels or maybe change the texture of the terrain in some levels. Or add an boss fight with a pink dino :)

Just some ideas, for me it's still interesting, but I get these Ideas when I played the game the first time

You could add more vegetation to hide into. You could add some kind of human buildings - maybe a research station where you can begin your hunt (not popping up straight inside no-where). You could add outpost towers, where you are save when you climb up. Different weapons. Ammo that can go empty. Some kind of story around the setting. New tasks (find a nest with dino eggs. Stun a plant-eating dinosaur, set a smoke beacon and protect the sleeping dino against carnivores until the research transporter arrives, ...)

It would maybe add much more to the game if the atmosphere is improved. More vegetation, maybe even some rivers. More dino population with more dino types (plant-eating and carnivores that are walking around on the island and are NOT just there because you need to hunt them in this level :D ).

Okay, so far with a quick brainstorm :)

To Travis: I made the game in a week, but I used my library ivank.js, which took me a year to develop into current state :-D

I added share and like buttons to the page. Do you think it is possible to make this game viral, if people share it through social networks? Can I ask you to share it, to make my first viral attempt? :)