Start with Phaser by painting

SebastianB

Hi, i'm new in game development, so I decide start with some really simple - painting.

I'm not sure if my througts are right, so I'll explain it little bit and pls give me feedback.

I think painting is simple, so it should works like this:

1) User select color

2) User pick finger/mouse on board

3) In every rate (frame cycle) application add point to canvas and some kind of array(?)

Let's move it on hight lvl - add restriction and check if user paint just in canvas

1) User select color

2) User pick finger/mouse on board

3) In every rate (frame cycle) application will check, if current position of finger(mouse) is in canvas

3a) if not show alert and change color of current stroke to red

3b) otherwise add point to canvas and some kind of array

- I'll like to move from simple painting to coloring book - are my steps in right direction? Thank you and happy coding! :)

Rather choose a game where there are sprites - this guy routine to learn gamedev with Phaser is a great example - http://www.lessmilk.com/12games

I don't think Phaser will provide you means for creating painting game - you can do that of course but you are then missing all things that this library solves for you (sprites, collisions, webgl)

Your steps are weird.

Basically that is not a game. It's interactive, right, but won't give you any skills you will use to make more common games.

And going from simple painting to colouring book is adding an image that you paint over that is almost no change at all.

Normally people go with things like this:

http://www.emanueleferonato.com/2010/05/07/6-games-you-must-be-able-to-make-in-less-than-a-day/

Or something close, like recreating the history of gaming (easier to complex). Pong, Pacman, space invaders, etc...

But, it seriously depend in what types of games you are planing to make.