[ARTICLE] How to make up to 30,000 USD from a HTML5 game

Alexander Krug

Ready my thoughts on how to make money from the rising market of HTML5 games on our blog InsideHTML5Games.com:

http://www.insidehtml5games.com/html5-games/blog/how-developerts-can-make-up-to-30000-usd-from-html5-games/

We really need examples of games that SoftGames pay $30K for because I've offered you very good games, and you offered just $5K at the most exclusively (html5 + mobile + all kinds of rights).

The number is taken from several long term trials we've made with a few selected developers where we paid a fixed fee + revenue share on the InGame Ads. An example is GTC HeatCity.  Very soon we'll release the learnings from those trials for every developer, so that they will have the same chance to make this money as well. Just wait a few more weeks :)

The number is taken from several long term trials we've made with a few selected developers where we paid a fixed fee + revenue share on the InGame Ads. An example is GTC HeatCity.  Very soon we'll release the learnings from those trials for every developer, so that they will have the same chance to make this money as well. Just wait a few more weeks :)

OK, now see this post right there has a ton more information than your article. Still, you didn't make it clear whether GTC HeatCity has made 30K :)

CTC HeatCity made $30k+ for developer, right? 

Please understand that unless you release specific verifiable figures and statistic in a completely transparent way, it's just natural for people to think that you're making this up.

Otherwise, it's just more get-rich-quick spam.

well its true that we are missing tons of numbers but you also cant say its not true making this revenue at this point.

having some good ad deals, a fair rev share, some promo and millions of play (that softgames can provide for sure) you can make a good amount of money.

but my questions are: if you also give a rev share how much do you pay as a "fixed fee"? do you gave any promo to this trial games? since you have an amount of trials, whats the average number of plays? whats the share ratio on the ingame ads?

sure you testing things out and nothing is made in stone, but even making a third of this would be awesome.

if you cant answer this question now and we have to wait until you publish the details to public, just tell me and im looking forward to a good read :)

its always nice when a sponsor publishes some insights of testing and evolving, thank you Alexander for sharing

then you might be interested to buy our next game.. we had deal with you guys before (it's not my game, but my artist on his own).. I met you in Casual Connect Singapore this year after your presenetation. We don't need that much just reasonable amount for higher quality games we could create.. 

I hope we could show you the game soon..

• 2 weeks later...

Sure, we'Re always interested in new, high quality content. Just send a mail to [email protected].

I liked the part where you answered the 5 posters above in the thread whether Heat City made $30K.

This is what I dislike about the sponsorship market as a whole (Flash or HTML5) sponsors are free to deny previous claims, or just don't answer at all as all communication is online. But so far it has only happened to me in private messages. This, however, is public and looks for a lack of a better word ... lame.

It is high quality game and it hasn't been copied yet even though its been out for a year. The reason being that most developers are unaware that it has made that much. There are more like it that have gotten offers as high as that one but only that one in particular have I been able to verify by the author to have reached that goal. A simple pm would work if you would like to know which one.  The reason why I don't just give out information in public about another developers work is mainly so the developer isn't flooded with emails, and if they happen to get sponsored, their sponsor won't be either, unless that sponsor is specifically looking for other games.

If it was a game that I created and received that kind of offer, I would be glad to share it if asked. The main point is to respect another developer and their work.

Making profit from app games in general are based around this medium:

1. Spend a couple months (maybe 3 or 4) to build a high quality game that hasn't been done yet and get high offers from publishers, (a bit more high risk)  

2. Make mini games and get a general pricing offer mentioned in this forums (maybe slightly lower then market value to get more sales) so the amount eventually adds up (less risk involved)

It mainly depends on the developer and how they wish to use their time. But to get higher offers you will need to put more effort unless you have a lower quality game that goes viral, then you will get equally as many offers as the high quality game. Which does happen often now.

There are distribution sites where you can find publishers  that pay these amounts for exclusive rights to native apps (not quite html5 related,anything native really), I'm not to sure about softgames paying 30k and I doubt gtc heat city has been offered that amount, but since they seem to be posting native apps on android I'm going to assume they are aware that publishers do pay these amounts, so their claims aren't entirely wrong.

If the game is good enough, it will be copied whether or not people know it has secretly had a 30k offer. If i read you correctly the author dismissed the 30k offer to go the self publishing road, then the game must be really good and will be copied.