[ARTICLE] How to make up to 30,000 USD from a HTML5 game

Alexander Krug

• 3 weeks later...

I think they should use an average value. Because how much games reached to 30K? Maybe Zombies Can't Jump and more one or two games. Its like saying that Google Play or App Store are super profitable because Angri Birds made milions. 

To give some insights, the HTML5 version of Zombies Can't Jump was only sold non-exclusively to publishers and grossed a little over $26,000 from HTML5 in this first year including licenses, revenue share and re-skin (does not include sales and rev share deals on native stores). I remember hesitating as to whether I should accept to sell an exclusive license but I am happy I did not because the prices publishers offered at that time were much much lower than this figure.

On the other hand what should be accounted for is the overhead when dealing with many publishers and networks (code, packaging, customizations, contract negotiation and so on) - so this should be accounted for when comparing the actual net of selling non-exclusives over selling one exclusive.

If exclusive prices remain in the range of what was offered for Zombies Can't Jump then it would seem it is more profitable to take the overhead and sell non-exclusives but if publishers are willing to pay within the price range mentioned in the article for exclusive content then the whole thing of selling exclusive starts making sense... just my opinion however

:)

Just to summarize, no HTML5 game has been offered $30K directly by a sponsor:

* a few games have made as much and more but involving mobile store versions after accumulated sales.

* we suspect Heat City made as much, but Alex hasn't confirmed it and it should have involved performance bonuses and luck over time.

• 4 months later...

my advice:

don't waste your time with softgames and the blah blah blah they use to get developer's attention.

Why? Only because they have no work ethics, they seem to lie and tell fake stories and also because they do not care about developers at all?

Nah, they are good.

Softgames is a company that:

* Claims HTML5 browser games are the future and the mobile markets are oversaturated BUT they ask for exclusive license that includes mobile stores.

* Claims you can make $50K with an exclusive BUT they offer you $2K.

* Claims they don't approve clones BUT it's almost only what they license and ask for.

How can you not like that company?

What is your definition of the value of game?

A $30,000 game needs to earn $30,001 on my web site, or in-app purchases, etc. to be "worth it." Well, actually a lot more than that, but let's just keep this simple. Do you think 30,000 and 1 people are going to make a $1 purchase though any of those games? If you can honestly say yes, then great. I don't see it happening.

A $30,000 game needs to earn $30,001 on my web site, or in-app purchases, etc. to be "worth it." Well, actually a lot more than that, but let's just keep this simple. Do you think 30,000 and 1 people are going to make a $1 purchase though any of those games? If you can honestly say yes, then great. I don't see it happening.

I also don't see it happening because I even don't see any place where people could make a $1 purchase of these games :D

You were talking about $5,000 and now you refer to $30,000. Let's stick to one value because we'll get lost in this discussion.

Ok, so the worth of game is defined by amount of money that such game possibly can make in different ways of monetization. I'm neither publisher nor sponsor so I'm not able to say how much money these games can make. I can rely on e.g. OkijinGames words (which I belive in) about Zombies Can't Jump which is available on softgames' portal (you can read them a few posts above) and I can honestly say that at least one of these games is worth more than $5,000. Do you have any data telling that they make less than $5,000 with each of their games? The answer is no.

I also don't see it happening because I even don't see any place where people could make a $1 purchase of these games :D

You were talking about $5,000 and now you refer to $30,000.

Ok fine. For $5000 then. I need to make that much with banner ads. Let me stop laughing first... no wait. Still laughing. Nope, still laughing and I think I peed a little. OK, I'm back. What is that then, like four million banner views? No, I don't have concrete data on that, but the last time I was in any banner program I think we made 65 cents.

But in the end I guess I don't care and I'm sorry I even commented. Those games suck and let's just leave it at that.

Signing off.

Ok fine. For $5000 then. I need to make that much with banner ads. Let me stop laughing first... no wait. Still laughing. Nope, still laughing and I think I peed a little. OK, I'm back. What is that then, like four million banner views?

$5000 / 2.5$ avg ecpm = 2 million views. 1 gameplay made 2-3 ads views. So, you need only 700,000 - 1,000,000 gameplays to make $5000.

I don't know how much traffic Softgames have, but it does not look impossible. 

My games have $1-$10 ecpm with admob / chartboost / iads , depends on traffic, but $2.5 average. 

just to be clear, are we talking html5 games on a website or html5 games wrapped in an appstore? and if the former i'd like to know what kind of distribution channel you have, is it big portals or only your website?

just to be clear, are we talking html5 games on a website or html5 games wrapped in an appstore?

We talking about html5 games distributed by Softgames. Nobody knows Softgames ads cpm, so I gave the example of appstore/googleplay ads networks, based on my own experience. I do not see any reasons why eCPM of softgames ads should be signtifically less than another mobile networks. They use video ads, so eCPM should be good. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

We really need examples of games that SoftGames pay $30K for because I've offered you very good games, and you offered just $5K at the most exclusively (html5 + mobile + all kinds of rights).

Thank you, ozdy, there are some solid figure information for reference.