[WIP] Reikaster underland project (FPS / Dungeon Crawler)

O876-Ralphy

Hi everybody !

I'm a french developper so my english is far from being perfect.

This post is about a game i'm currently developping.

Description

This Game is a FPS and a Dungeon Crawler : You are an adventurer, you decided to explore a dungeon in order to retreive an Ancien Tome of Power. The dungeon is full of hostiles creatures, so you'll have to defend yourself. During your exploration you may find items inside treasure chests (potions, rings, necklace, food...). 

Playable demo

The game is still Work in Progress but there is a playable demo.

(Please use Chrome, Chromium or Firefox or any html 5 browser that supports OGG audio format, thank you)

And please check "How to Play" at the main menu before you play.

Be careful the game is difficult and needs heavy balancing.

Screenshots

dc_boss.jpgdc_craftmeal.jpgdc_craftpotion.jpgdc_explosion.jpgdc_forest.jpgdc_forgeroom.jpgdc_treasureroom.jpg

Video

You may also want to check the video :

Features

Here is a list of the main features :

- This is a Raycasting rendered game (like an old 90's game).

- Labyrinths are random-generated.

- It's an adventure game, you can open your inventory window (press "I") and equip the things you'll pick up on the way. 

- You have a time limit ! You must eat food to reset the timer so you may play longer.

- The dungeon has several levels (about 6) and there is a boss.

- Deep inside the dungeon, you may find a portal that leads to the mines (3 more levels) the mines is an optional branch of the main dungeon.

- You can save your game anytime by pressing "F5" and you will return to the main menu this way. Choose "Continue" on the main menu the resume your game.

- You may craft some usefull items (like potions and meals). Try to activate Fireplaces and Alchemy desks with your space bar.

Additional information

- The sprites graphics have been designed with POV-Ray.

- The wall textures, the icons... have been designed with er... Open Office Draw.

- The code contains about 20700 lines.

Thank you

I hope you will enjoy testing my game. Please keep in mind that the game is still Work in Progress, and need balancing and more content.

I wish to make a big adventure game with lots of levels, a challeging AI, an interessing plot, and some funny hidden things to be discovered by players.

I just post a new version on the server.

version 0.0.1

- Correction : The game has now pixelated textures and graphics. I turned off this ugly image scaling interpolation. It looks more like an old 90's game now.

version 0.1.0

- Added Item description system : in the inventory window press SPACE to display the selected item properties. This still is a stub of a window but it was a rather important functionnality.

- Useful feature : When the navigator loose focus the game is paused and the sound is turned off. When the navigator get the focus back, sound is turned on again and the game resumes. (an idea suggested by Idarren).

- Game balance : The enemies have less HP, thus are easier to kill.

If you want to give it a try don't forget to check the inventory window (press I or TAB) and equip the Ring of Power to get an increased fire power.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Version 0.3.0

http://www.laboralphy.org/raycaster/    <--- Click here and select "REIKASTER" module.

The main improvement of this version is the support of Pointer Lock. Now you can play the game with [keyboard WASD + mouse] like a modern FPS. Only Firefox and Chrome/Chromium supports this features. If you play on Opera you will have to use the "keyboard-only" controls (click on "How to play" on the main menu to check if your browser surpports Pointer Lock, and have a quick view of the hot keys).

The user interface (inventory window...) now always uses mouse. Each window has a command bar at its bottom. The  craft window mais be scrolled with the mouse wheel.

Changes :

- From now, press "E" to open the inventory window. It's swifter to switch weapon or quaff a potion.

- Double click on an item in the inventory window to use/equip it.

- Press "Backspace" to drop an item from the inventory.

Others improvements :

- Item description (since  v 0.2.0) you can "look" at an item on your inventory window, to see its attributes (select an item, and click on the "Look" button at the bottom of the window).

- Player stats window : Press "P" to open a window displaying all the player stats.

Thank you

Bug fixes and improvements.

v 0.3.1
    - Bug fix : Sometimes, when a player stepped on the doorway, the door would close behind the player, and the player would become stuck. This has been fixed.
    - Animated torchlight added.
    - Speed optimization, slight gain, this optimization is noticeable on firefox rather than on chrome.
    - Bug fix : When the player "charged" the dagger, on firefox, the game would freeze : this has been fixed.
    - Added some crafting recipes.
    - Chests located inside locked rooms (with gray keys) contain better loot now.
    - Added alchemy book to learn new recipes. Check the alchemy bopokshelves.
    - Labyrinth procedural generator : More corridors, and halls.
    - Bug fix : The score is displayed on finishing the game, and on dying, no more "Your score is NaN".
    - Bug fix : The ravens steal gold pieces now, (there was a bug before)

The game still lack of balance (monster spawn and loot). For example at level 3 the Dark Cubes are very difficult (they do harm) and should be dealth with caution.

Time to test ! I'm going to work on a multiplayer game using this engine, a deathmatch game with simple rules and instant access. Lots of people at work asked me to do it (they are getting bored during lunch time and want some good action).
This project is not done yet but will be worked on at a slower rate.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Version 0.5

Lots of new things.

Easier weapon switching :

You don't have to open the inventory screen anymore : just roll the mousewheel to switch for any weapon you have in inventory. You can harmlessly switch to dagger to attack walking foes and save magic points, then switch to a wand to kill those wasps and other fast moving targets.

New feature - Shopping machines :

Shopping machines can now be found somewhere in the dungeon. These machines sells weapons, potions and jewelry among other things. You need to collect gold pieces.

dc_vendor.png

The game still need balancing and testing. I'm counting on you for extensive testing ;)

Thank you.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...