[js13k] Virtual War

remvst

So for my entry for js13kgames this year, I decided to go with a simple and classic gameplay and try to polish make it as fun as possible. Last year I tried to follow the theme but this time I just went free, though I tried to give it a unique look.

You can try my entry at http://vw.tap2play.io/

The game itself is not entirely ready yet, I might make a few changes based on the feedback I get here, hoping to get a better place than last year.

sc01-thb.png sc02-thb.png sc03-thb.png

You have two controls: jump or shoot. You can also double jump or jump down the current platform.

All you have to do is to get rid of as many enemies as possible, using combos and power ups.

I'm obviously aiming for the mobile category, though the game should work on desktop.

Looking forward to hear some feedback.

Nice game, the 3d-ish effect of the platforms is very cool. But sometimes it's a little confusing, especially the "reverse" powerup. And why does a tank shot only decrease your health, but a mine is instant death?

Nice game, the 3d-ish effect of the platforms is very cool. But sometimes it's a little confusing, especially the "reverse" powerup. And why does a tank shot only decrease your health, but a mine is instant death?

The reverse power up is actually not a bonus. I made that kind of stuff to prevent people from shooting around all the time. So I know it's confusing, but that's the purpose. But then, I would be open to removing it if it's just frustrating.

For the mine thing, that was only a choice. To me it made sense because before that I thought it was weird that the mines wouldn't kill you instantly, but I'm also open to suggestions (though it wouldn't count for the compo, since it's already submitted).

I would have probably added music if I knew how to do it before submitting. Well, too bad, that's part of the game :P

Thanks for the feedback ;)

For me both things are ok - you can be hit by a bullet, but stepping no a mine makes you fly high in all directions. It's all a design decision, for example when you're tapping on the food to collect it and had to decide if picking the bomb will only hurt the player, or kill him.

Also, having some kind of moments with higher difficulty level makes it more dynamic.