Chrome M 37 and WebGL

spencerTL

This is probably a device specific thing but maybe somebody is in a similar boat and if many other moderately old laptops have suffered the same fate everybody's webGL based games will suddenly run worse on them.  My Windows laptop is probably right on the margins of being able to benefit from webGL but it has done so for the last 3 years until Chrome auto updated to M 37 this week and now it won't allow webGL. I presume because it has moved the bar on its blacklisted gpus which if it is the case is bloody annoying as webGL had always ran very well.   First I noticed was my Phaser based work wasn't running as smoothly and one of the hearts in the console had turned grey.

I just wanted to ask if anyone else has suffered with this as the timing seems to suggest it is the case but I'm not certain.  IE doesn't allow webGL either but I don't know if it did in the past as I don't use it much.  Firefox does allow webGL still so it isn't a machine-wide problem.  None of the chrome flags and overrides seem to make a difference.  If anybody has a way of forcing Chrome to allow webGL even better as it is going to be seriously inconvenient not being able to check Canvas and webGL development.

Thanks for the advice I will try that. What is weird is that under the chrome://gpu flags webgl is shown as enabled but no website with webgl will work and always reports it is unsupported by the browser. So annoying, tonight was put aside for playing with the new Phaser RC! In fact I thought that was the problem at first until I tried my older stuff and that also failed.

While researching this I did find a mention that the baseline for blacklisting the GPU was being raised and mine is a 4 year old laptop but I couldn't find it again so I can't be certain it applied to this release but, like you say if Canary has it working, there's hope it isn't permanent. I have no extensions and the settings are all at default so fingers crossed my laptop has some life still ahead of it!

Thanks but I tried both of those and it wouldn't have it. Drivers are the most recent and webGL was shown as working in the Chrome overview page, it is only web pages themselves that report that the browser is incompatible with webGL. Despite this I did use that flag as well as a couple of others that may have had some influence. I set them both from within the browser and as properties of the shortcut to open Chrome (not sure what the correct term for that is.). There is little to suggest this is a widespread problem on google though so it may be isolated to a problem on my machine, or it may be that there aren't many still using a laptop with this low spec who would be aware of the webGL thing.

If it is of any relevance to anyone, my PC is a Samsung RV510 which has an Intel R4 Series Express Chipset. I'm pretty happy now I can use Canary but I still have this lingering fear I'm on borrowed time before the blacklist catches up! It'd be very annoying as this laptop is otherwise fine for me and webGL does,work whatever Chrome seems to think! Thanks for the suggestions though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...