Boardgames with Phaser

elwis

Hi all,

I've read and walked through a couple of the Phaser tutorials and it's a very nice framework for sure. However, I was thinking about making some old classic boardgames in html/mobile versions just for fun and I'm not sure how well suited Phaser is to handle stuff like that. (drawing maps of risk, monopoly, small world style etc) and then just sit back and wait for events.

(i did that many years ago in Java/Swing but hey, it's 2014 now..)

I'm sure it will work, but I haven't found any nice tutorials or examples so i was thinking that it might be better to build it from scratch.

Any thoughts?

Regards

True, I've googled and read about a lot of different gameengines (tried a lot of them also) but they all seem to be well suited for platformers and actiongames. I'm not sure if it would give me any benefit at all, maybe better to use meteor or something and build it myself.

Yes pure dom is an option, but you need some structure as well, Phaser will give you states and animation. That's one plus, Also I like playing on top of canvas, that gives more flash like behaviour, It's a little ugly when you have mouse cursor on dom elements and you can actually select them. But Phaser lacks on user interface part. So that can be done with dom. I think hybrid approach is best.

Not directly related to board games but a bit similar, I've made quite a few simple puzzles, rearrange the counter types, for use by teachers in maths lessons etc. I've made these in the past with no framework and I've made them with Phaser and Phaser reduced the dev time by loads and made the final result slicker. So while many of the features might seem to be suited to arcade style games they can be easily repurposed. Lately I'm also finding that the A* plug in makes finding routes on a grid board dead easy.

Phaser is perfectly suited to make a board game / card game. However, if you are not looking for animations or anything fancy, it might be overkill, because you will be rendering your board game at 60 fps even if nothing is happening. 

Sorry, I think you are right and I was wrong. I thought Vassal was just a tool for playing physical boardgames over the web with friends. Now when I look closer it actually seem to be a framework where I can develop my own boardgames as modules. I will take another look at that later, thank you.

Vassal is not great if you want to do AI. It does have great abstractions in its API for hex or square grids, moving pieces around, and online (synchronized) play.

It would be good to know if Phaser has support for those abstractions. If not, you'll have to do it yourself, which defeats the purpose of using an engine.

You could use Phaser in conjunction with a library like ROT.js for grid abstractions. It can even calculate FOV, lighting and do pathfinding if those are going to be important to the game. It does draw directly to the canvas so I'm not sure if it would butt heads with Phaser but you could probably figure out a way to delegate all the drawing to Phaser and just use ROT.js for the calculations.