How do you make graphics?

Evan Burchard

For stuff like character portraits, title screen, big images, etc I tend to use Krita then post-process in GIMP. Sometimes I'll use a photograph as an underlying guide or just something made in Blender to get the perspective and geometry right. I tend to work at either 2x or 4x the in-game resolution in order to get sharper lines in the final product. I've messed around with MyPaint as well, but it hasn't become a standard one for me yet. 

I've used GIMP for sprite art but I really don't feel that its a comfortable tool for it for some reason. Then again, it takes me three times as long to sprite as to do other kinds of art.

Hm... No one has mentioned Sketch (mac only) yet for vectors. Rumor has it that it is taking over workflows for a lot of UX/designer type people who might be using Adobe Illustrator or Inkscape otherwise.

Granted it's not free (it's under $50), but it seems pretty well loved. I'm still in the 15 day free trial, but I can definitely see myself buying it.

I use Blender, MSPaint, and GIMP. I prefer raster as none of my vector art has impressed me much. I'm not interested in realism and I love the obviously computer graphics look circa Lawnmower Man, Tron and the like.

With the link in my signature you can see some of the stuff I produce. Not ground breaking or particularly skilled but it fits my goals and I like it!. Also my avatar.

And here is a graphic I made for my first html5 game:

rocketdodger.png

I make movies for my own amusement with Blender also:

• 2 weeks later...

daddy_shan_by_pixelstab-d6hvuo6.png

I make a lot of pixel art. For that I use mostly photoshop, some times I use pixen too.
Here you can see some videos of a sprite I made and a digital portrait.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QMGep6kMQs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEzAkgqOjOI

When I do assets for flash or more vector style art I use flash or anime studio pro which is a great tool for animations.

I use inkscape + gimp.

Inkscape is extremely useful as I can make incredibly detailed images, then scale them down (if I have to) with no quality loss. Gimp is great for titles and backgrounds.

For animation I've been using Synfig Studio, but I don't really like it. As soon as I can I will be purchasing Spine.

Hey ilovepixel - your "art" section is fucking excellent. So rare that you see awesome pixel artists actually drawing with some kind of vision or unique aesthetic (It kills me to see technically great game art that has no soul, or nothing to say). Your art stuff is dripping with imagery and feeling... but your games page seem seem a lot more simplistic and boring (relatively!). Are you working on your game masterpiece? Or... what?

Great stuff though - I wish to subscribe to your newsletter!

Hey ilovepixel - your "art" section is fucking excellent. So rare that you see awesome pixel artists actually drawing with some kind of vision or unique aesthetic (It kills me to see technically great game art that has no soul, or nothing to say). Your art stuff is dripping with imagery and feeling... but your games page seem seem a lot more simplistic and boring (relatively!). Are you working on your game masterpiece? Or... what?

Great stuff though - I wish to subscribe to your newsletter!

Wow! thanks a lot for the compliment. I love doing art, it's my first love and I actually  learned how to program just to expand that area. For me coding is just a new medium of creative expression.

About my games. That's true, I tend to make a lot of prototypes and small games, never actually embarked on a really big project ( apart from some work games ), and I actually make a lot of simple games for agencies. I want to break that with the developing of 2 games I've been making, one I started recently and the other it's been on developing for about a couple of months. The first one is a better version of Nigo's Cave ( my js13kgames submission ). I want to add more depth to it, better mechanics and of course art that pops out. The second one is a game I've been developing with my girlfirend, who is a writer, which is more focused on the story and trying to understand how the mind of a schizophrenic. Both of this games made in pixel art.

Thanks again :)

• 2 weeks later...

spriter for pixel art or vector art, you have to turn the vector art into bitmaps though[free] spine for pixel art and vector art[$99] anime studio is probably the best for vector art, but it's very expensive [$299.99] or [$49.99] for debut version  ^_^ If your starting out I'd go for spriter as it works well and is constantly being updated with new things  :)

I've recently started practicing drawing with pencil and paper. I was terrible at first but started to quickly improve and can now copy cartoon characters fairly acurately. Also I've noticed by drawing a lot and by copying others it's helping my own imagination to create things. I'm finding it easier to create an idea on paper, and then recreate it in inkscape.