How do you make graphics?

Evan Burchard

• 3 weeks later...

I've recently started practicing drawing with pencil and paper. I was terrible at first but started to quickly improve and can now copy cartoon characters fairly acurately. Also I've noticed by drawing a lot and by copying others it's helping my own imagination to create things. I'm finding it easier to create an idea on paper, and then recreate it in inkscape.

I am not great with anything related with real paper, but copying for learning others work in illustrator and inkscape helped a lot.

Did anybody give a try to GIMP for background?

• 3 weeks later...

GIMP and Inkscape. Photoshop is very valid (and I know as I've used it a lot) but as I can do all I need to with GIMP (and I still haven't scraped the surface) it seems a bit overkill to be paying that much for Photoshop. In the future, probably, when I'll have more time and money to spend on it I will. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi fellas,

If you seek pixel art editor then I can recommend GraphicsGale http://www.humanbalance.net/gale/us/

In the old days it was great tool suitable for all aspects of pixel art creation. One of the great features is the Onion Skin mode when you work on animation frames and of course streamlie interface just for pixels.

Don´t be scared from huge packages like Photoshop, because they can be used for pixel art too and very effectively! You just need to setup it right way.

• 2 weeks later...

Here, I work with photoshop, blender and spriter.

Gimp (unfortunately) is far behind photoshop at the time in terms of productivity. With CC now, I get my assets trimed and exported cleanly as I'm working, and that's absolutely great ! However as far as 3d for games is concerned, blender is pretty flexible and efficient.

• 2 months later...

Use the tool that gives you better work.

Graphics Gale and Gimp are for Raster Graphics and Inkscape for Vectors.

I tried to make my own graphics with GG, reading manuals, learning about pixel art techniques, etc... And I can't get anything. Pixel Art is a time consuming task and need a lot of skill. I love the Pixels, but I will need a year or two of learning to make decent artwork.

Inkscape is my choice, after reading this:

You can use Inkscape .... here is some tutorials http://2dgameartforprogrammers.blogspot.com/

Anyway, I use all of them, sometimes there are little tasks that I can do faster with Raster programs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Pencil/paper, Illustrator for Vector work and Photoshop for the rest. I have used a few times AutoCAD for drafting, although is not meant for that it's compatible with Illustrator and was usefull when I was doing isometric.