Art, game design and construct 2 tutorials

Nathan Lovato

2XnKH1C.jpg

Hey there! I'm Nathan, a professional game designer. I release free video tutorials every week on Youtube. The channel is dedicated to game art and game design.

You can find all of the tutorials, arranged in categories, right there: Game Design Tutorials!

News: The Kickstarter is over! And it was 240% funded. I'm working on a new website, Game Art Quest, where you'll find all of the open source assets, tutorials and premium training I'm making as part of this project.

We have a game art study group on Facebook!

Don't hesitate to leave feedback or ask me questions here. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks much Listege, and sorry for getting back to you so late! I really appreciate your kind words.

After a busy period. I am back. My website is now called GameDesignQuest.com !

As its name suggests, it is a website about game design. I will be polishing it up over the next few weeks. A professional graphic designer is currently working on the logo.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bonjour Nathan,

I'll post my question in english.  I'm starting to build games for fun.  Mainly kids games for now.  I no art skills, none.. I'm that bad, but I'm really good in coding.  Do you know where and how to find art designs or assets for games. 

What are the options ?

• find a artist and pay them for the work ? (I assume that I'll own the art and will be able to use it later where I want)
  • partnership (splitting revenu if any)
  • arts free to use with a mention in the game or website ?
  • fine a licence free arts ?

any help is really appricated.

even if I give my kids'games, I could sell t-shirts or goodies..are do I deal with that ?

thanks

Hi there survivant,

It depends on what you intend to do with the games in the end. If you want to make a living out of them, you'll probably have to work with an artist. I'd advise you to first create a solid prototype of your game and to establish an exhaustive list of the assets you need. Any artist you're going to work with will need that - be it a freelancer or a buddy of yours.
I don't recommend using assets packs only because you probably won't find enough assets in the exact same style to make a coherent game. The rare self-sufficient free to use packs out there are actually being used by many people (like the Kenny CC0 platformer assets). They're great tools to prototype your games though.

Otherwise, if you're just looking to make games for fun, any mix of the solutions you listed is good. If you want to find a partner, I'd still highly recommend that you code the game/prototype first - you're more likely to get offers that way.

As far as finding assets online, you'll have to be a bit creative with your usage. You need to search beyond plain game assets to find enough material to work with. Websites like https://creativemarket.com/ will provide you with some vector assets, great for story-based kids apps for example. The most popular assets bank out there is probably http://market.envato.com/. As far as finding open source assets, you'll be pretty limited. There's http://opengameart.org/, and http://open.commonly.cc/, which are two very good resources websites.

Good luck going forward!

Nathan.

merci pour la réponse, c'est clair.

Thanks, that will be useful.  It's true, the first time should be to make it work and find help after that.  When I'll ahve something, the next step will be to find someone willing to help.  I style that I like are anime and Wakfu (unrelated to this post, but I really like that serie.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you TD2TL! :D

I am coming back with not only 2 video tutorials, but also 2 detailed Game Design guides.

Game art tutorials:
How to game art #4 – Cute character from concept to finish
How to game art #3 – Drawing with selections in Photoshop

Game design guides:
How to Create Immersive Game Intros
Game Analytics From A Game Designer’s Perspective

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Today's update is bigger than usual! You're getting 3 new video tutorials, and 3 game design articles/guides.

Video tutorials

Game Design Articles

I hope you'll like them! Don't hesitate to comment if you have feedback to share, requests for future tutorials... I can't promise to get to them all, but I review every message I get.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the vids, they are short and straight to the point, displaying the shortcut keys is also welcomed. Maybe you should add the little flash circle that some videos show to pinpoint where you click on the menu or icons of the interface and probably you could remove the easy listening background music which brings nothing but annoyance. Last you may "chapterize" your videos to get more rythm because they feel a bit monotonic, but that's just my feeling. I am looking forward to the pixel art one!