Art, game design and construct 2 tutorials

Nathan Lovato

The latest tutorials talk about pixel art with the open source software Krita. I'm preparing an FAQ video, so for those of you who may have questions, don't hesitate to ask!

@totor: Thank you for the feedback. The background music is here for a few reasons, most notably covering the strong reverb present due to the open nature of the space I'm recording in right now. I don't have the money to isolate it just yet, so I'd rather keep the track. I did lower it in the last video's mix though. 
Could you tell me more about chapterizing the videos please? I'm not sure about what you meant by that? Some of the past videos had multiple title screens to split them into sections - I decided to remove those and overlay the titles in the last few tutorials to gain ~24-36 frames a piece. In any case, thanks much for the advice. 
Ah and as far as the mouse circle is concerned, I'm going to look for an app. My mouse driver doesn't allow for the location circle or an overlay (using an evoluent vertical mouse).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

1Kv27p4.png

Since last post, I started a series called Game Design Quest. It's a series that focus on the job of a game designer, exploring some questions and analyzing game mechanics. It's a new concept for the channel, so please bear with me as I try to find a good pace and formula for it.

Here are the first 3 episodes:
Game Design Quest - Intro
6 Tips for a Successful Game Jam
The Preproduction of a Small Game

I also updated the first page. Now you can find all of the tuts categorized on this page!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I'm back with 3 new tutorials!

And I'm on Kickstarter with a video training project dedicated to 2d game art:

kbP7ucz.png

In this series, I will run you through the process of creating professional grade static assets for 2d games. I will share my workflow and my productivity tricks. Not only that! I will show you how Krita is becoming a solid option for professional work. Together, we’ll focus on character design, environments and User Interface.

FROFyGB.png

Although we will use Krita, the concepts you will learn apply to any painting application or medium. The series will cover the unique general constraints we game artists face in our work. I will show you how to design sprites with a target camera and resolution in mind. I’ll show you how to produce crisp visuals that support the gameplay.

The campaign reached 50% funding in the first 24 hours, and is now on its way to being successfully funded. Want to become a better 2d game artist? Check it out now!

• 3 weeks later...
MaV9S6m.png

ʕ •̀ᴥ•́ʔ I'm back with 8 new videos!

I'm working on a 3 part series on painting rocks for video games:

vhyebdW.png

I also released 2 videos dedicated to the major new beta features. The traditional animation toolset and the new rendering engine coming in Krita 3.0:

Last but not least, I've covered Krita's new features since version 2.9.5. In these minor releases, there have not only been lots of bug fixes: we've also seen quite a few usability improvements!

jQTYIdL.jpg

I'm still on Kickstarter, close to 200% funded. It's the time to check out the campaign and spread the word! Once we reach the first stretch goal, I'll make a second training series about isometric game art and I'll open source all of the game assets I make as part of it!

ʕ •́؈•̀ ₎ Thank you kindly for your time!

• 2 weeks later...
p3jVZ0X.jpg

The Kickstarter is over! And it was 240% funded. I'm working on a new website, Game Art Quest, where you'll find all of the open source assets, tutorials and premium training I'm making as part of this project.

In the past 10 days, I released 4 more videos:

I'll be back soon with some more! Thank you for reading, and merry christmas!