[Completed] Fly Trap!

SlamminSam

Being original is risky, and cloning is much more profitable(?)... so that makes cloning acceptable?

Just because you made an original game that was not profitable doesn't mean every original game is going to be worthless. Whenever I make a game that is a flop I always try to look back and see what I could have done better to make the game more appealing. I've had a lot of failures, but failures end up being beneficial in the end if you use them correctly.

I didn't say that made it acceptable. I also didn't say cloning is more profitable. I only said it is profitable.

I always learn from each game I make. I do not regret making Hedges, it's what I'm still most proud of I'd say, but it doesn't pay the bills. I haven't stopped making original games.

Essentially what you're saying is that you don't have time to be original, so you must steal other people's ideas to survive. Honestly, that sounds like a pretty tough spot you're in... I really don't think that makes it okay to clone, though.

If I'm stealing, then send me to jail. You can't copyright game ideas.

I don't have the time to make more huge games like Hedges right now. But if I can make money while I'm busy with games like Fly Trap, I'll feel more at ease spending more time on original games when I have more time. 

I wish you good luck with your future games, and I hope you will be able to make your own original ideas from now on.

Thanks. I still make and work on original games and apps. Cloning games isn't really that fun.

Excuse me if I don't care for your sob story: that is no reason to blatantly copy people's game, people's products, or rip content off people's websites. I have now seen you do all three of these things at the expense of other people for financial gain.

It's not that hard to be original. Try it sometime, you might be surprised when it leads to the success and money you seem to crave.

I'm not giving you the satisfaction of responding to that.

I don't have time for this. If you guys have a problem with what I'm doing, that's on you. It isn't illegal, and I'm still creating original games. And of course, I'm still learning from every game I make.

@SlamminSam

I'm usually not in the mood to respond, but I thought I'd give my input.

TV does have a point, If you use the eye-catching art you currently have mixed in with your programming skills, you could definitely have better success at profiting from an original game. You would probably get much more sponsor offers as well, since most sponsors probably have enough don't touch the spike clones, they may be on the watch for something new with pretty art and that could be an original game that you have created.

As for student loans for university, you have my sympathy, it's not cheap. But there are other ways to make money with your skills. Such as freelancing your skills for money until you can think of an original idea. But since the game is already created, try to profit from it, and for the future use your skills to work on a more original project.

Try not to take my post as a direct attack, the only reason I bothered posting was because I think individually you and your artist are talented, and I believe you would have a better chance at profiting from something original. I'm also guilty of cloning games in the past, but that's changed now. I also believe the reason TV and Orange are more involved in this thread is probably because they have personally dealt with others who have cloned their games directly in the past, including direct copies of similar characters and game mechanics. So that's probably why they feel sympathetic towards the original developer that came up with the idea. 

I guess my main point with the last paragraph was to put this in perspective, one day you will work on something and some dude will copy off it and make profit off of it before you could. (such as selling their version of the game to numerous sponsors before you could even reach them all). That's never a good feeling.

@SlamminSam

I'm usually not in the mood to respond, but I thought I'd give my input.

TV does have a point, If you use the eye-catching art you currently have mixed in with your programming skills, you could definitely have better success at profiting from an original game. You would probably get much more sponsor offers as well, since most sponsors probably have enough don't touch the spike clones, they may be on the watch for something new with pretty art and that could be an original game that you have created.

As for student loans for university, you have my sympathy, it's not cheap. But there are other ways to make money with your skills. Such as freelancing your skills for money until you can think of an original idea. But since the game is already created, try to profit from it, and for the future use your skills to work on a more original project.

Try not to take my post as a direct attack, the only reason I bothered posting was because I think individually you and your artist are talented, and I believe you would have a better chance at profiting from something original. I'm also guilty of cloning games in the past, but that's changed now. I also believe the reason TV and Orange are more involved in this thread is probably because they have personally dealt with others who have cloned their games directly in the past, including direct copies of similar characters and game mechanics. So that's probably why they feel sympathetic towards the original developer that came up with the idea. 

I guess my main point with the last paragraph was to put this in perspective, one day you will work on something and some dude will copy off it and make profit off of it before you could. (such as selling their version of the game to numerous sponsors before you could even reach them all). That's never a good feeling.

Thank you. Written very respectfully.

This was the first time I had worked with this artist, so now I know what we are capable of we are definitely going to look at creating something new. We did get requests to add features to the game by sponsors.

Student loans is hardly a 'sob story', it's hard to live without money! There are other ways, I recognize this, but nearing the end of semester the fastest way to make some cash is unfortunately reskinning. It helps if you're too busy to freelance or other.

Definitely did not take it as an attack.

I understand this, however the game I reskinned was an iOS game that I now have found out was also a clone. I hadn't seen any other clones of the same time, maybe I didn't look hard enough. There was also another DHTL clone on this form that used the exact artwork from the iOS version, so at least I changed the art.

Thanks for your comments.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Great game...

I notice you use DropBox to host your game...

I got a recent email from DropBox that said they're dropping their HTML browser support on October 3,2016

If you get a different host...I'd like the new link to your game.

(Former MOD at Yoyogames Sandbox)