Quick "How did you get into HTML5 game dev?" poll

rich

HTML5 Game Developer Poll  

336 members have voted

1. 1. What did you make games in before you made HTML5 games?

• Web Technology (HTML, JavaScript, PHP, etc)
    • Flash (AS3/AS2)
    • GameMaker
    • Unity
    • A native language (Objective C, XNA, etc)
    • Java
    • Nothing, I started with HTML6
    • Something else (please leave a comment)
  2. 2. Why did you learn to make HTML5 games?

• It's part of my studies / class
    • I had to as part of my job
    • I did it off my own back to widen my skill set
    • It's what I already knew so it was a natural progression
  3. 3. Who have you made HTML5 games for?

• For a client as part of my job
    • Direct for a client on a freelance / contract basis
    • For myself as part of personal development / learning
    • For myself to sell to sponsors / portals
    • For a game jam

I started with Flash, but I just could achieve to make a very awful pong clone.. and when mochi went down i decided to start with HTML5 instead of keeping learning ActionScript 3.

And that's the story of how i met HTML5.

• 1 month later...

Really interesting results so far. Especially last question seems interesting. HTML5 games just for fun - not for money? 

I have to say, that results correspond with my observation from last Digital Dragons conference. Majority od developers made their games for fun, not for profit.

Do you think, that it is hard to make money on HTML5 games?

I used to be in web development since 2003, but I started to often use JavaScript in 2009. When I realized how powerful AJAX technique was in 2009 and how JavaScript could deliver interaction like never before (even though it was DOM only/no Canvas since HTML5 does not even exist yet), I had a belief that one day web technology would be a viable media to deliver online games, including MMO due to its natural client-server environment. And then HTML5 proposed.

I stick to it and in the end the idea grows in 2011 that tells it is possible to deliver apps/games in one single source code with one single environment (JavaScript, and friends) to deploy anywhere through the browser.

That's still what I am aiming right now, which is why I'm still here. Technically, everything I wanted are already here (like WebSocket, WebGL, 3D Audio API, etc.), so I believe I'm on the right track. The only problem right now would be asset management; files opened not guaranteed to stay on disk, limited storage space due to browser security, etc.

I'm a designer and musician, and coding is a hobby (and showcase) :) I made a couple of games in Flash ten years ago for clients at an advertising agency, but html5 gamedev for me so far is just for fun (i love problem solving, as my handle indicates :))

I am a javascript lover since years, working on interactive websites was what attracted me to this language. And with the time, I saw some wonderfull new things happening HTML5, CSS3, nodejs, WebGL I started looking at as it was experimental features.

It's was I personally love in the web, everything evoluate so fast that you don't have the time to be annoyed. I'm a vanilla javascript developer loving hacking things and reinvented the wheel for knoweldge :)

With the new technologies, my personal game didn't stop evolving (starting from ajax, to 3d mmorpg) and know I would like to see what's the possibility about being a html5 gamedev. But from what I see there are not a lot of company yet and most of the dev are working for themself.

• 2 weeks later...

When I was 12, I taught myself HTML and CSS, and started building websites, just for fun. Later on, I learned PHP and mySQL bases. I wanted to try something new, different than websites, so I figured I could start making games instead. I am a contractual editor for youth novels, and I decided I would build a small platformer for the author, since we were joking about making a bunch of products related to her most recent novel. So here I am, we'll see how it goes! 

I really missed the option "for fun" for the last two questions.  I have been making games for fun since the TRS-80.  The great thing about making my own games is that I can optimize them to my own gameplay tastes (which, however, do not always match others' tastes). I also love participating in game jams, in particular Ludum Dare.

I got into HTML5 primarily for WebGL, after I discovered even IE supports it.  I recently started working with OpenGL ES on Android, which I like, but I find the slow compile-test cycle a drag when fiddling with shaders and graphical effects.  WebGL, which is almost identical, doesn't have this problem, so I'm working out a new workflow.  I am recoding my homebrew Java game framework (JGame) to JS, which can then be ported to Android as well, using JS OpenGL ES bindings (my new project gles.js). 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
What did you make games in before you made HTML5 games?

• Something else...I was a programmer of administrative systems... but that was boring. i always love game and want to create them so i started to do this like a year ago  :D

Why did you learn to make HTML5 games?

• I did it off my own back to widen my skill set

Who have you made HTML5 games for?

• For myself as part of personal development / learning
  • For myself to sell to sponsors / portals

As I had written utility apps in ObjC I first started doing Cocos2D. Then a little tangent took me to Lua and first Corona and then Gideros. Recently I started using monkey which is a great cross platform tool but now has an uncertain future and I've looked at HTML5 engines many times. I was aware of Phaser having followed Rich on twitter for quite some time now but its only the last couple of days I have started downloading and using phaser.

Its awesome!

I'm a HTML5 dev newbie so the huge amount of examples is superb and really looking at a decent completely cross platform toolset.

I'm only dabbling at the moment, I hope to get to build arcade classics that I grew up with like Defender and Gorf and the like!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I started with HTML5 through Game Maker Studio. I knew very little javascript, but I was ok with basic html/css. I realized that I was only getting about 1000 downloads a year on my PC Games which seemed very low to me. A friend told me that he wanted to try my games, but he couldn't because he didn't know how to install it! So I put together a little something with HTML5 and that just opened the door. I worked at Disney for 3 years and quit to work with HTML5 full-time. haha

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When i was a kid i was wondering all time about a game that will like this or that my own world i wish to create game for my own sake.....now i want to create games for myself want to create and want to spread them all over to the world.......

....mobile tablets and mini consoles these are the platforms which i m looking for ......but the mobile app store markets now getting harder to crack day by day........so i went to web games .....and html5 is future ...!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...