Sign in to follow this  
Eugenius

Change the style of line that is already drawn?

Hi guys

It's been a long time since working with Pixi.js. Since the version 1.6 is 'in da house' with the ability to fill up complex polygons, I resumed my project again.

As the title says, I draw thousands of lines on WebGL using Pixi.js Graphics class. Then I change the style of the lines.

For example, say I drew 1000 lines on the screen, then I want to update their styles (width, color and etc) somehow not by drawing them again.

Is there a way to achieve this? (possibly for polygons as well?)

You could access the graphicsData property of your graphic.

The data it holds are all paths defined as:
{lineWidth:this.lineWidth, lineColor:this.lineColor, lineAlpha:this.lineAlpha, fillColor:this.fillColor, fillAlpha:this.fillAlpha, fill:this.filling, points:[], type:PIXI.Graphics.POLY}

However pixi will always redraw the whole graphic (all 1000 lines) whenever you call the render function unless you have cached your graphic as a bitmap.

It's probably much easier to just discard the old graphics object and create a new one when you are changing something instead of fiddling around with the pathdata.

Thanks Sebastian, I tried the way you suggested. However the graphicsData object doesn't seem to be associated with rendering but only bounds. 

Actually, I draw around 20000 vertices and draw (create) them all again and style needs to change, which means I have to do all the unnecessary moveto and lineto again. Would there a be a way to manipulate the graphicsData then draw from the array?

Explored a little more and found Graphics.dirty and Graphics.clearDirty flags needs to be set true to update from graphicsData.

Here's my code

PIXI.Graphics.prototype.updateLineStyle = function(lineWidth, color, alpha){    // console.log('lineUpdate');    var len = this.graphicsData.length;    for (var i = 0; i < len; i++) {        var data = this.graphicsData[i];        if (data.lineWidth && lineWidth) {            data.lineWidth = lineWidth;        }        if (data.lineColor && color) {            data.lineColor = color;        }        if (data.alpha && alpha) {            data.alpha = alpha;        }        this.dirty = true;        this.clearDirty = true;    }    // return this;};

Thanks again Sebastian :)

In case anyone is trying this in PIXI v4 things are a bit different. dirty and clearDirty are now numbers not booleans, so you have to increment them. Here is a little function you can use to change any of the props for a given graphic.

function updateGraphicProps(graphic, props) {
  const graphicsData = graphic.graphicsData;
  const keys = Object.keys(props);
  const jlen = keys.length;
  let i;
  let j;
  let ilen;
  let key;
  let shape;
  // Update the props on the graphic.
  for (j = 0; j < jlen; j++) {
    key = keys[j];