Web App Development Engine (WADE)

Gio

Hi

I'm happy to say that we've finally reached a point where we're happy to release our HTML5 game engine to the general public, with a free license for indie developers (that is, unless you're a large corporation, it's free).

This is the engine that we used for our game Zirma and that we're using for our upcoming games too. It's a canvas-based 2D and 2.5D (isometric) engine.

I know that there are many engines out there, but we are not competing with them. As WADE evolves it's going to be more and more different.

We have quite a few learning resources on our site, and we are also making a short series of video tutorials to get started with it and HTML5 game development in general.

A few of WADE's strong points even in its current (early) version:

1. It's fast. I've spent several years working on engines for AAA console games, and I've learned a few tricks to speed things up.
  2. It's cross-platform. It works on lots of mobiles, desktops, tablets, etc.
  3. It's easy. As you can see in the above video tutorial, it's just a matter of minutes to get started and to make some simple games.
  4. It's platform-agnostic. Make your game once, run it everywhere (automatic input mapping, rescaling, customizable stretching and alignment rules for your UI, etc.)
  5. It's robust. It can easily handle complex game worlds with thousand of objects.
  6. It's free. I believe I mentioned that :)

And importantly, it's evolving! Here's a teaser of what's coming next:

iso_eidt.jpg

So far it's only been used by a small group of people, and now we'd love to get some more people to use it, and get some feedback on it.

If you're interested, you can get it here

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

That's a very good point :)

It was initially used for a (non-game) web app. Then seeing as its performance was pretty good, we went ahead and used it as a game engine. However by that point everything was called WADE in the code base, so we didn't bother changing it.

I don't think the name really matters, but any suggestions to give it a better name will certainly be considered!