[Completed] Aqua Thief - Puzzle Game

OkijinGames

Hi Everyone,

Aqua Thief is my new puzzle game - I expect to release it soon on Windows Phone, Google Play and Mobile Web.

post-5497-0-60900800-1414434930.png

The goal is to help the Aqua Thieves to collect the coins in the aquarium. The player must draw a path and use proper timing to avoid the aqua cops and other obstacles (lasers...).

Features:

•  60 levels with 3 themed packs.
  •  Replayable Challenge mode.
  •  Achievement Titles to unlock.
  •  Challenge Badges to unlock.
  •  3 Powers/Boosters:
  •  Sprint: Increases Aqua Thief speed by 150%, the thief is immune to freeze.
  •  Stealth: The Aqua Sheriff cannot spot the thief and chase him.
  •  Shield: Allows the thief to pass through lasers.

You can play the game here:

http://okijin.com/v2/games/aquathief/

Thanks, feedback welcome!

Note for publishers: I remain available to discuss distribution opportunities for the mobile web - feel free to drop me a line.

Short video here:

Thanks you :)

You have mentioned in this post that you have used CocoonJS.  Are using Cocoon's accelerated canvas ? Also which JavaScript framework have you used for Aqua Thieves ?

Yes I am using CocoonJS with their accelerated canvas for publishing my games natively. I have created my own JavaScript "framework" and I do not use any 3rd party library besides JQuery.

Yes I am using CocoonJS with their accelerated canvas for publishing my games natively. I have created my own JavaScript "framework" and I do not use any 3rd party library besides JQuery.

Great game :) This is no amateur effort, it's very professional looking.

Just curious, if you use CocoonJS for canvas acceleration, then why do you also need to use JQuery? I use JQuery for "normal" html games that only use DOM manipulation. Do you use DOM manipulation combined with canvas, why/how does that work?

Great game :) This is no amateur effort, it's very professional looking.

Thanks BdR :)

To be more accurate, I use JQuery mobile for the web build as well as for the Windows Phone/Windows builds (mostly for the touch events abstraction layer they provide with virtual events and DOM manipulations). For CocoonJS builds I only use standard DOM methods.

Very professional game, good luck!

The game seems well polished already. Impressive performance for so many animations and effects. I also liked how both device orientations are supported and switched to one another smoothly.

Thanks guys!

For improving performance I created 4 different sets of graphics assets which the game loads dynamically depending on the screen size available.

beautiful , stunningly beautiful  game you have there ! - it gets hard pretty quickly ! - i like to write puzzle games, and always get told the lerning curve/difficulty ramps up too quickly in my games, and end up padding in loads more very simple levels as an after thought , see what other people think though...

cool game. I like the animations and the game play

beautiful , stunningly beautiful  game you have there ! - it gets hard pretty quickly ! - i like to write puzzle games, and always get told the lerning curve/difficulty ramps up too quickly in my games, and end up padding in loads more very simple levels as an after thought , see what other people think though...

Thanks guys!

Indeed the difficulty will be tuned up after some play-testing. The last 2 demo levels were made slightly harder on purpose to give a better impression on the depth that the game mechanic can offer.

Great job, Okijin, another extremely polished game. I think high quality is indeed the way to go in html5.

Btw, you had another game in the works - similar to Zuma, what happened to that?

Thanks Ozdy,

Indeed, I initially wanted to release "Pebble Boy" which has a ZUMA-like gameplay mechanic as I originally did not really know where to go with "Aqua Thieves", the initial setup was in space with aliens and a slightly different concept, no title. But after entirely revisiting the art I liked it more and decided to release it first :)

here is how the original idea looked like:

post-5497-0-53888500-1412671504.png

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update: Had to go back to the drawing board following feedback I received from the original demo and gameplay mechanic (rotating aquarium) which players (almost unanimously) found too complicated. So here is the link to the new demo with an entirely revised mechanic

New demo:

http://okijin.com/v2/aquathief/

New trailer:

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't that like a whole new gameplay? Like old levels no longer work? In that case - even bigger respect. But also, why don't you release it as it is then make this new mechanic game?

Also, reminds me a little of the Flash game NanoPath, but I doubt you would have know it before, it wasn't very popular.

Thanks Ozdy, indeed this is a whole new gameplay mechanic. I did not know this game.

I wanted to keep the graphics of this game as I like them. If I have time I may make new graphics for the old mechanic and release it but the next few months I will be busy working on the sequel for Zombies Can't Jump.

Gorgeous game, nice work. Did you do your own art work too? Do you render the characters using SVG or are they bitmap based?

Thanks booty5, Yes I create the art work myself, I do not use SVG, all graphics are bitmap based rendered in canvas.

List of updated features:

•  60 levels with 3 themed packs.
  •  Replayable Challenge mode.
  •  Achievement Titles to unlock.
  •  Challenge Badges to unlock.
  •  3 unlockable Powers:
  •  Sprint: Increases Aqua Thief speed by 150%, the thief is immune to freeze.
  •  Stealth: The Aqua Sheriff cannot spot the thief and chase him.
  •  Shield: Allows the thief to pass through lasers.

The full game is now available to play here:

http://okijin.com/v2/games/aquathief/

Feel free to contact me to discuss licensing and distribution.