Collision detection without defining polygon?

xacrox

Hello!

I am fairly new to the phaser framework. So please excuse my noob ignorance if this is an easy question. I know that adding collision on a object such can be easily done with:

game.physics.arcade.collide(gameObject1, gameObject2, collisionCallback, processCallback, context); 

However when you have an object like this ice spike:
post-10854-0-29948300-1412112686.png
You would likely need to define a polygon in order for proper collision detection. Which should theorectically be pretty easy considering it's pretty much a triangle.

My question is however... when I get into more unique elements say for example this water:
post-10854-0-29267200-1412112689.png

And I want to make only the non-transparent parts collide. Is there an easier way?
Is there a way to detect non-transparent pixels as opposed to defining each aspect by hand?

Hope this makes sense & thanks so much in advance!

Not in Arcade Physics I'm afraid. Arcade is based on 'AABB' collision detection, which stands for Axis Aligned Bounding Box - basically all objects have a non-rotatable rectangle collision area, which is very fast, but obviously has limitations here. Often a tradeoff is made when trying to apply rectangles to triangular objects whereby the body size is reduced to provide coverage over the part of the triangle that matters.

post-7918-0-01837400-1408109510.png

If you really need non-rectangular collision bounds, you're going to have to use P2 physics instead of Arcade. Then you can define arbitrary simple polygons as collision hulls.