Asset management—how do you do it?

wayfinder

My project is growing, I'm adding assets, and I don't want to lose track of what I have and under which name I'm using it, so I'm looking for some way to manage my stuff. I thought about using a spreadsheet, but Google sheets is not well-suited to the task (getting images into it is more difficult than it should be, and cells don't autoresize with their contents), and I don't have Excel. My second choice was a simple html file with a table, which in a wysiwig editor could work from a creation point of view but is probably quite inflexible.

What do you guys use, if anything?

I don't have so many assets that I'm losing them – yet. My vague plan is to start tracking in Evernote since it's search is pretty good. So, like, I have a notebook for my game with a note in it called "Player" with all the animations for the player. You can literally drag any images you want into a note and then add links to other notes, so each spritesheet or whatever can have its own note as well.

Evernote lets you add whatever files you want to any note, it doesn't have to be graphics. Graphics show inline, which is nice, but sounds are playable, too.