PhaserEditor2D

The problem of the sprite key

Hi,

Often I come with the "problem" that I start a game using separated images and later I pack them in a texture atlas.

I say a problem because when you create the sprites from separated image files yo do something like this:

// load the single image filesgame.load.image("bird", "assets/bird.png");game.load.image("dog", "assets/dog.png");...// create the sprites using the images keysgame.add.sprite(10, 10, "bird");game.add.sprite(20, 20, "dog");

Ok, but when I decide to migrate the game to use texture atlas I come with the problem that my "create" code gets broken, why? because I should use add an extra (frame) parameter:

// load the texture atlasgame.load.atlas("atlas1", "assets/atlas1.png", "assets/atlas1.json");...// create the sprites using the atlas key and the frame namegame.add.sprite(10, 10, "atlas1", "bird");game.add.sprite(20, 20, "atlas1", "dog");
As you can see, I had to change all places where I create the sprites and that's a bit tedious and even error prone.

Do you know if there is any way in Phaser to avoid this? A solution I see is to introduce a concept like a "key namespace", something like:
// in case of images the last parameter is the namespace (default can be "global")game.load.image("bird", "assets/bird.png", "animals");game.load.image("dog", "assets/dog.png", "animals");// to create an sprite with the birdgame.add.sprite(10, 10, "animals.bird");// in case of texture atlas all frame names are registered under the "animals" namespacegame.load.atlas("atlas1", "assets/atlas1.png", "assets/atlas1.json", "animals");// so to create an sprite with the bird is the same as in images:game.add.sprite(10, 10, "animals.bird");

Or maybe just we can introduce a new "globalKeys" parameter to load the atlas:

var globalKeys = true;game.load.atlas("atlas1", "assets/atlas1.png", "assets/atlas1.json", globalKeys);...// somewhere in Phaser.Loader is registered that "bird" is linked to the "atlas1" frame "bird"game.add.sprite(10, 10, "bird");

Am I missing something?