mini beat'em'up game

virbas

Hi everyone. 

I would like to share my small game made mostly on weekend and after-work hours.

http://12brols.com/3brols/frauen-vs-refugees/

I'ts a classic 8-bit(16-bit?) beat'em'up game with one level of 5 waves. But mind you - last wave is not easy to beat.

None of the artwork or audio is mine. Just coding...

The title/plot is a bit political, but no offense was intended. Just some fun and a bit of nostalgia. 

I would like to hear what you think about it. Should it evolve into full-featured game, or few minutes of game-play i enough?

Have fun!

Virbas.

intro.jpg

gameplay1.jpg

gameplay2.jpg

Nice style, appropriate music.  Is that some Golden Axe sprites in there?

Seems like the most efficient way to play is to ensure you approach all enemies horizontally and do the flying kick thing into them.  When enemies approach vertically, you're unable to hit them until they actually reach your vertical position and then usually they'll immediately hit you, so the technique is to run away if they're above/below you, and run towards if they're in front/behind you.  I still got a total hiding though.

@staff0rd Yes, that one guy is from golden axe, the other one is from mortal combat II. And regarding the game play - flykick doesn't not help that match at the final waves. The way i find it easiest to finish the game is to repeating the punch-retreat-punch again sequence.

@marcgfx Thanks for the note on ctrl+arrows. Definitely have to fix it.
The title - well yeah, had a lot of thinking about it. It's not about my personal views or something, more about on riding on media hysteria. Eventually changing the logo and intro text can result in completely different topic.

Thanks for the input guys, i appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Virbas!

I just played through Frauen, and I absolutely love your controls! They were the first things that stood out- I love that you have a thumbnail for the "punch" and "kick"- movement on mobile is also smooth.

The difficulty is spot on! I can tell that you have really thought through both the development and end user experience and process.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/19/2016 at 4:39 AM, virbas said:

The title - well yeah, had a lot of thinking about it. It's not about my personal views or something, more about on riding on media hysteria. Eventually changing the logo and intro text can result in completely different topic.

I think the faster you do that the better. Portraying refugees as monsters with names like Akarab and having what appears to be a genie laughing at you when you die is very troubling. I think games can be a great way to comment on "media hysteria" or any issue but please try and think through what you are trying to convey and say with your game. If you are making a game and want to make a statement with it, then do that, but this here just looks like it's lazy and racist without really meaning to be.  

Try and think about what the men in this group would think about your game- 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/sweden/12131460/swedish-far-right-migrant-attack-stockholm.html

Is that really the side you want to be on?

Either way you've greatly motivated me to get moving on game ideas I've had brewing. Best of luck with your future work.